Should I get a Sound Card or not?

Jacob McIntosh

Honorable
Aug 24, 2013
Hi guys-

I was just reviewing my build list on PCPartpicker earlier, and was checking out my speakers to all them. I thought they were nice, but not amazing. Then I looked up the model. It turns out they are Klipsch KG 4.5 speakers. Which are apparently very good speakers. I have them hooked up to an old Sony STR-D450Z Stereo, and use them daily for music. I've also got a set of Altec Lansing ACS54 speakers and subwoofer that I use for general tasks, like watching a quick YouTube video. On top of that, I use a cheap gaming headset for Skype calls and gaming. (It's a weird setup)

So my question is, would it be worth it to get a sound card for all of this? I don't really want to spend more than $100, but if you can justify $125 I may be able to make it work. Here is by build, which is a work in progress, hence some parts are marked as purchased, and others aren't.

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/SynchHD/saved/3wLv

Thanks for the help!

Solution
I went with a receiver instead of a sound card and I'm glad. A receiver can be used in many other configurations (laptop, TV, cable box, ect...) whereas a sound card is stuck with just your one PC. Also I much prefer having the audio run out through the video cards HDMI. a good receiver is pricey though and a slippery slope.

Tcoom16

Honorable
Jan 29, 2014
most on board sound is good, sound cards are only aimed at hardcore gamers and serious audiophiles so yeah if you are one of those the sound card is the way to go. If not then don't bother getting it.

ayushde

Honorable
Feb 6, 2013

Sound cards are not required in the post Sanybridge era.....The onscreen audio is great...especially in the haswell mobos.....The difference is not that noticeable even while playing FLAC....Unless you are an audiophile..

40s

Estimable
Mar 21, 2014
I went with a receiver instead of a sound card and I'm glad. A receiver can be used in many other configurations (laptop, TV, cable box, ect...) whereas a sound card is stuck with just your one PC. Also I much prefer having the audio run out through the video cards HDMI. a good receiver is pricey though and a slippery slope.

Solution

40s

Estimable
Mar 21, 2014
Don't get monster speaker wire or plugs because they are too pricy. you'll need a wire stripper, some 14 gauge speaker wire and four banana plugs per speaker (your sub will use a different connection but can use wire). Let me know if you go that way and have any trouble I think I hit about every curve when I did this myself but it pays off in the end.