should I go to 4 GB graphic card or 2 to to play games but I need that all games will run on my laptop for atleast 3 -4 years

Status
Not open for further replies.

apoorvsaxena1112

Estimable
May 19, 2015
I am confused in buy a laptop for graphic card of 4 gb or I go for laptop of graphic card of 2 gb but I need that games will run for at least for 3-4 years my choice of laptop is Lenovo z50 -70 notebook (59-429607)

Solution
That laptop comes with a Geforce 840m GPU with DDR3.

It is an okay CPU. It basically considered to be a mainstream GPU, not a gaming GPU, though it can be used to play games. Due to it's relatively low performance and that fact that it is only using DDR3 RAM (slow compared to DDR5), you would be better off saving some money and going with the 2GB version.

If it was a relatively high performance GPU like the GTX 860m which uses DDR5 RAM, then sure go for 4GB of video RAM. But for the 840m, the extra 2GB DDR3 RAM is a waste of money.

bennyd87708

Estimable
May 16, 2015
If you are planning on playing new-esk games for the next 3-4 years you are probably going to want to go with 4GB as games will become more power hungry as time progresses.

It depends on the games and settings of the game you play. If you play most games at med settings then 2 should be ok assuming the game is not that demanding. Otherwise get the 4 gigs if you plan on playing all the latest games at the highest settings possible.

That laptop comes with a Geforce 840m GPU with DDR3.

It is an okay CPU. It basically considered to be a mainstream GPU, not a gaming GPU, though it can be used to play games. Due to it's relatively low performance and that fact that it is only using DDR3 RAM (slow compared to DDR5), you would be better off saving some money and going with the 2GB version.

If it was a relatively high performance GPU like the GTX 860m which uses DDR5 RAM, then sure go for 4GB of video RAM. But for the 840m, the extra 2GB DDR3 RAM is a waste of money.

Solution

holyprof

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2011

Absolutely right!
He will not feel any difference between 2GB and 4GB. The 840M uses slow DDR3 memory on a narrow 64bit bus. It will have hard time drawing any graphically intensive game from the last 4-5 years on that FullHD 1920x1080 display. Heck, my desktop GTX 960 has only 2GB of memory and i never saw it use more than 1GB even in demanding games. Just for comparison, both 840M and GTX 960 are Maxwell based but 840M has 384 shaders vs 1024 at a higher clock on the GTX 960.

TL,DR: buying 4GB version is just wasting money.

Status
Not open for further replies.