Should I repair the motherboard of a 5 year laptop or buy a new one. Laptop was in moderate use. It was a core i5 ,3rd gen ,4g

Aug 23, 2018
My laptop is 5 years old. It was a 3rd gen, Intel core i5,64 bit windows8 laptop. It had 4gb ram and 1 tb hard disc with 2gb graphics card. Now the motherboard got damaged and needs to be changed. It will cost around 10,000. What should I do? Should I repair it or buy a new laptop?

cin19

Distinguished
If the new laptop with similare features has less or same price tag, but I will say the cost should be more than that. You know what to do. Otherwise find someone to repair /replace the MB. And if you are the good pc handyman, then you can do it by yourself.

wbankard

Honorable
Aug 27, 2012
Check the CPU socket configuration. You may be able to upgrade it to a faster chip.. But you must have the same socket configuration for the upgrade to work.. Manufacturers will not tell you you anything that can upgrade your system, Oh yes buy a new system.I cannot speak for your system but mine is 9+ years old and I have updated it in memory and CPU Now I'm looking for graphics upgrade.Which I know I can do with some work.