Solved! Is it worth replacing the motherboard of a gaming laptop or should I get a new one?

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 27, 2020
Basically, the motherboard on my Asus Strix Scar II (GL504GS) died after spilling some liquid on it. Tech repair looked at it and told me it was a short circuit and that a new motherboard would be around $700. He also said that even if he were to repair it that there would still be a risk of the rest components getting fried from the initial damage. So my question is the risk of frying the rest of my laptop low enough to warrant paying for a new motherboard or is it large enough that I should just get a new laptop? For reference, the laptop cost me about $2200 with tax.

(If the best option is to buy a new one, a suggestion of how to recuperate some of the money would be greatly appreciated)

Solution
Really up to you, check what a new system with a 2070 costs and decide, this is like an extended warranty, you are gambling cost vs possible outcomes that may or may not happen. The cost to swap the motherboard is much less than what a full new laptop costs, but as the tech said till that is done you won't know if there is something else that is going on with the system which would mean more time and cost for you.

Only thing you can do to get some of your money back is to sell the system as-is on eBay or somewhere. There are people that would buy it for the case/keyboard and screen as long as all those are OK, which from spill damage could be hard to sort out.

I suggest buying lower end laptops and a higher end desktop for...
Really up to you, check what a new system with a 2070 costs and decide, this is like an extended warranty, you are gambling cost vs possible outcomes that may or may not happen. The cost to swap the motherboard is much less than what a full new laptop costs, but as the tech said till that is done you won't know if there is something else that is going on with the system which would mean more time and cost for you.

Only thing you can do to get some of your money back is to sell the system as-is on eBay or somewhere. There are people that would buy it for the case/keyboard and screen as long as all those are OK, which from spill damage could be hard to sort out.

I suggest buying lower end laptops and a higher end desktop for gaming, laptops are just so much easier to damage and have more heat issues and component failure rates. A 1,000 - 1500 laptop is as high as I would ever go, exactly for the situation you are in now, you spend 2,200 and there is out of warranty damage, or it fails after the warranty is out, so you lost 2,200 vs 1,000.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.