Should I replace the motherboard or buy a new

Ibby14

Estimable
Jul 24, 2014
After 5 years my AMD GPU went on my HP Envy 17 model LW900AV. As you know this model has switchable graphics and 2 gpu's and my intel card still works, so I uninstalled the AMD so I can still use it with low graphic capabilities. I kinda like this unit and I'm tempted to replace the motherboard.
So my question is should I replace it or buy new? My problem is I really don't have the money to buy an equal HP Envy replacement laptop. If I do buy a new motherboard where should I buy it? Is it possible to upgrade?
I've seen motherboards anywhere from $50 - $400. But I've never replaced a motherboard on a laptop before, what are the pitfalls, will the less expensive moBo have everything I need? Will I have any windows issues if I do this? Thanks for your input!

Run the beast as long as you can and save up for a new one. Simple.

A laptop mobo transplant is not for the faint hearted ... I have only had a couple of survivors ... its like open heart surgery.

All of the screw are only really designed to be assembled once ... plastic ... self tappers ... you know where I am going with this.

Ibby14

Estimable
Jul 24, 2014
Since this was there top of the line unit when I bought it and the first day I had it I had to send it back for a new motherboard b/c the battery wouldn't charge, I was hoping that meant it was possible for me to replace it.

TRENDING THREADS