Should I return my Lenovo Y510p laptop?

tanner775

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2010
so I just bought the Y510p beginning of January and so far I'm extremely disappointed by the results of its gaming performance.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834313584

I have been using a desktop before I got this laptop... so I hadn't fully comprehended the difference until I received my new laptop.

My desktop specs:

Case: Antec Three Hundred Illusion Black Steel ATX Mid Tower
PSU: Antec EarthWatts EA750 750W
Mobo: GIGABYTE GA-Z68A-D3H-B3 LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX
RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory
GPU: ASUS GTX 780 3GB
CPU: Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz (3.7GHz Turbo Boost)

So, as you can see I have a very pleasant gaming experience with this desktop but when I bought this Y510p laptop I thought I would get atleast 60fps on BF4, BF3, Rift, Skyrim, etc... on medium settings... but apparently the SLI isn't being utilized correctly because of Windows 8 (i'm assuming)... I use MSI afterburner and GPU usage only maxes out a little over 50% for both GPUs running.

Should I return this laptop and get the Sager?

Solution
Well most of the junk apps can be uninstalled, but you have to do it yourself. As for the "slowness" I can't say. I could just be that the CPU in your desktop is more powerful because of the difference in clockspeed.

From looking at the Sager NP8265, it does seem to be a better laptop as long as you don't mind paying more money. Which is not a bad thing if you are looking for a laptop who's performance is somewhat closer to your desktop. It seems to be fully loaded and all you really need to do is select the OS and contemplate about splurging another $300 for the GTX 780m.

I do recommend you consider the 3 year warranty though. You are spending a lot of money on a laptop. Buying a 3 year warranty makes it more expensive, but it can...
The issue is that laptop graphic cards / chips are not as powerful as their desktop counterparts. A GT 750m is nowhere near as powerful as a desktop GTX 750. The GT 750m is much less powerful than a desktop Radeon HD 5770 / HD 6770 / HD 7750.

GT 750m SLI would perhaps be about as powerful as a nVidia GTX 560 Ti assuming the game takes advantage of SLI. If the game is not designed to use SLI (or XFire), then the additional card / chip will not do anything. This why I prefer using a single graphics card in a desktop.

To get performance that can approach that of a desktop, you will need to spend more than double what you spent on the Lenovo Y510p. It is considered to a very capable gaming laptop for the money you pay.

The GTX 780m is basically the most powerful graphics core for laptops. However, it's performance is nowhere near that of a desktop GTX 780. The mobile GTX 780m is probably very close to the desktop Radeon R9 270x which means it is about equal to the desktop GTX 660 Ti. That means it is probably about half as powerful as the desktop GTX 780 GPU.

I would guess that a laptop with a single GTX 780m starts at around $1,700. The only laptop I know of which has two GTX 780m for a SLI setup is an 18" Alienware 18 laptop which costs around $3,000. If you want something that is around the ballpark of the desktop GTX 780, then you will probably have to get a laptop with dual GTX 770m graphic cards.... and hope the game can also take advantage of SLI.

tanner775

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2010

Thanks for the information. I decided I am going to return it anyway because I cant stand windows 8 and all the junk apps that come with lenovo. The laptop in general just seems slow... like the memory is maxed out or something. Can someone recommend a different laptop that wont include all the junk apps? If I buy it at xoticpc with no OS, would that eliminate all the junk apps that come with new laptops? I hear the SAGER NP8265 is just as good as the Y510p...

Well most of the junk apps can be uninstalled, but you have to do it yourself. As for the "slowness" I can't say. I could just be that the CPU in your desktop is more powerful because of the difference in clockspeed.

From looking at the Sager NP8265, it does seem to be a better laptop as long as you don't mind paying more money. Which is not a bad thing if you are looking for a laptop who's performance is somewhat closer to your desktop. It seems to be fully loaded and all you really need to do is select the OS and contemplate about splurging another $300 for the GTX 780m.

I do recommend you consider the 3 year warranty though. You are spending a lot of money on a laptop. Buying a 3 year warranty makes it more expensive, but it can also give you some piece of mind because should the laptop fail within 3 years the warranty will cover the expenses of repair it.

I one thing to keep in mind is that gaming laptops can get hot and heat can kill your laptop. So... you should also consider buying a cool pad for it which can add another $20 - $40 depend on what you buy. The Sager has plenty of vents on the underside so I recommend the following Cooler Master U3 with 3 movable fans so that you can position them underneath the vents.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834997872

Sager may install some apps if you buy it with an OS, I can't say for sure.

Since the laptop comes with just one nVidia card you don't have to worry about games supporting SLI or not 'cause all games will use a single graphics card.

Solution

tavisc

Honorable
Sep 17, 2013

I have this cooler, and I would recommend NOT getting it. It's well build and sturdy, but the fans are slow, even at max speed, and they only blow air one way-down. All the laptops I've had sucked air in from the bottom and blew it out side or back vents, so I'm not sure why Cooler Master decided to go the other route. The fans come in cases that let you attach them to the cooler, but they're not designed to be reversed. I managed to get mine to do it, but had to put spacers in, and then tape them to the adapter, so they won't fall out.

cooper2016

Estimable
Dec 25, 2014
I am also a y510p owner and am extremely disappointed, it has only caused many issues such as the wireless disconnection, laggy start ups, and horrible keyboard. The only problem is i put up with these issues, i have owned it since last march and would like to return it or get some time of credit back for it because i don't want to deal with it anymore. I feel like calling lenovo and explaining my case, but that probably wont not do much. Any ideas or advice?