Solved! Should I upgrade my Dell Inspiron 15 7568?

Apr 30, 2018
It has been a long time (3-4 years) that I have used this laptop for! Most of the components of the laptop are working fine until now! But for the past few months, the laptop has been running very slowly and freezing occasionally when loading application or even browsing casually.

The laptop takes on average 2 minutes just to boot up and even after booting up, it takes 20-30 seconds additional in order for the icons and the task bar to completely load.

The hard drive is a 1 TB 5400 rpm. There is more than 500 GB free space in the disk. I have even tried formatting the laptop completely but still the laptop is very slow compared to what it was.

Also, the battery of the laptop has been very poor. At first it lasted for about 5 hours but now it barely goes through one hour. I am a intermediate programmer and I don't use the laptop for extensive works, although I used it to game extensively which is probably why the hardware are failing now.

So, my question is, Should I consider removing the Hard-Drive and installing a SSD in place of it? Also, changing the battery of the laptop for a new one. These two costs about 130$ total. So, should I even bother changing these hardware because the laptop may still be slow and consider actually consider getting a new laptop as a whole?

Specs:-

Intel i7-6500U
HD Graphics 520

8 GB RAM

1 TB 5400 RPM

Solution
Getting a genuine replacement battery will cost a large chunk of the cost of a new equivalent laptop, don't think I'd bother with that. Tossing an SSD in is fine since you can always re-use that elsewhere if the laptop is still a disappointment after the SSD upgrade.

You may want to give the laptop a thorough dusting using compressed air through the vents to knock out caked-on dust that could be clogging the fin stack and causing the laptop to throttle or crash from components overheating.

InvalidError

Distinguished
Getting a genuine replacement battery will cost a large chunk of the cost of a new equivalent laptop, don't think I'd bother with that. Tossing an SSD in is fine since you can always re-use that elsewhere if the laptop is still a disappointment after the SSD upgrade.

You may want to give the laptop a thorough dusting using compressed air through the vents to knock out caked-on dust that could be clogging the fin stack and causing the laptop to throttle or crash from components overheating.

Solution
Apr 30, 2018

The cost of a new OEM laptop battery is abour 50$ and the price of the SSD is 80$! I don't plan to use the laptop for extensive works too. I just use the laptop for programming stuffs and other networking stuffs. That is why I am having second thoughts whether I should upgrade these components or actually get a new laptop for this specific purpose. The main issue is the performance of the laptop and the battery capacity. But even after changing HDD and the battery, what if the laptop still runs like it is running now.

InvalidError

Distinguished

Last time I shopped for a battery for my laptop (bought in 2005, battery died in 2007), the quotes I was getting were closer to $150 so I gave up on that idea and just used it always plugged in.

As for "what if the laptop is still slow", that's why you should buy the SSD first. You can reuse the SSD elsewhere if that doesn't help your laptop's performance enough to make it usable again before bothering with the new battery.