Should I wait for Pascal mobile?

Chaos Sorcerer

Estimable
Aug 22, 2015
Hi, I'm a laptop gamer looking to purchase a new laptop in the next while. I live in Canada, and I was looking at the Lenovo Y700, which is currently on a huge sale.

But the GTX 1080 and 1070 were recently announced. I was wondering whether I should buy the Y700 right now, or wait for the mobile versions of Pascal to be announced. Please don't try to sway me over into building a PC instead - I need the portability of a laptop. I will likely be looking at the 1060M as that best fits into my budget.

However, Nvidia has no word on any mobile Pascal GPUs at the moment, and nothing is known about even a desktop 1060. And...neither the 1080 nor 1070 are even available for purchase yet. So it's probably going to be some time before the mobile versions are announced, and even more before they are put into laptops, and even more before those laptops are available in Canada. Some sources are pointing to Nvidia not even working on new mobile GPUs at all.

So, what should I do? I can barely play games on my current HD 4400 laptop. The 960M should allow me to play most games at 1080p at decent settings, but Pascal looks like it will offer exponential performance increases over Maxwell. Should I wait for Pascal? Or should I get the Y700?

Solution
Personally I would wait unless you can find a better laptop than the lenovo you mentioned as you are in no rush to buy one. I have been waiting for a long time for the best laptop for games but am holding out for the best laptop as I don't really like windows 10 as the game I like is optimized for win 7.

Chaos Sorcerer

Estimable
Aug 22, 2015
I really want to start playing Overwatch. Battlefront is also on the waiting list. Obviously, I have no absolute need to play these games, but I definitely do want to play them soon. However, I am willing to wait until the end of 2016 (maybe even early 2017) if the performance increase will be really noticeable. I have been holding off my purchase for quite some time, so I would rather not delay it too much. I plan to keep this laptop for around four years, so I do need it to last some time. I know the 960M will not be able to play games at the same settings by then, but I won't really mind lowering them down. Thing is, I can hardly play anything on my current laptop.

spruce11

Commendable
Mar 2, 2016
If I were you, maybe I won't wait. It is because:
1. the actual launch time for laptops with pascal from each major players is still unknown, and I am not a person who is always waiting while the games I wanna play are right in fornt of me.
2.The games you like are not new games, meaning the current spec can be capable of it for sure.
3. Summer is coming, and it's always a good time to bring in new stuff into your house. you may find a good deal for the laptop then.

Personally I would wait unless you can find a better laptop than the lenovo you mentioned as you are in no rush to buy one. I have been waiting for a long time for the best laptop for games but am holding out for the best laptop as I don't really like windows 10 as the game I like is optimized for win 7.

Solution