Side quest: bitdefender totale secure or avast premier?

ruben.wellens

Prominent
Sep 2, 2017
Bitdefender or avast?

Its for my new beast pc.
I don't want any virussen etc on my pc.

What is the strongest program? Bitdefender total secure or avast

Solution
BitDefender is a no go. Far too many issues. It works alright for some people but completely butchers other PCs.

You need three layers of defense. Antivirus, antimalware, and in-browser solution. While some top paid antivirus software does contain everything in one, it doesn't hurt to research.

Currently, Windows natively has its own anti-virus Windows Defender, and it works relatively well. The majority of the popular providers have free versions of their software to test out, and they also do the job. As for anti-virus, I recommend Comodo, Avast, Avira, Kaspersky or Norton. All of them proven formidable.

With anti-virus, you usually will need to run anti-malware software. Not every single anti-virus has the full package included...

HamBown81

Prominent
Aug 3, 2017
I have had a ton of issues getting BitDefender to install properly on several systems and their tech support is just canned answers. I have not used Avast recently.

HamBown81

Prominent
Aug 3, 2017

When it works it is great. When it won't work it is a huge pain to fix in my experience.

HamBown81

Prominent
Aug 3, 2017

It either works or it doesn't in my experience. I have had it work fine and then refuse to connect to servers after a clean Windows install on the same machine.

The only working solution I found was a cumbersome workaround, replacing three files in the root directory in Safe Mode. BitDefender support just walked me through the same cookie-cutter checklist a few times and offered no REAL insight.

It is something on their end that is the problem, when the user PC tries to connect to the servers.

HamBown81

Prominent
Aug 3, 2017

I had the same situation with more than one version on more than one machine with both Win7 and Win10. It has been quite a while since I gave up on BitDefender so I couldn't say if it has changed.

JoshRoss

Estimable
Jul 11, 2017
BitDefender is a no go. Far too many issues. It works alright for some people but completely butchers other PCs.

You need three layers of defense. Antivirus, antimalware, and in-browser solution. While some top paid antivirus software does contain everything in one, it doesn't hurt to research.

Currently, Windows natively has its own anti-virus Windows Defender, and it works relatively well. The majority of the popular providers have free versions of their software to test out, and they also do the job. As for anti-virus, I recommend Comodo, Avast, Avira, Kaspersky or Norton. All of them proven formidable.

With anti-virus, you usually will need to run anti-malware software. Not every single anti-virus has the full package included. Any of the popular software solutions will be solid as well. My recommendations towards ADWCleaner, Malwarebytes, Hitman Pro.

For in browser solution, you could use an Adblocker to protect you from malicious ads, uBlock takes this one for me.

But when it comes to the internet, no software will protect you 100%. My tip would be to be aware of what you are browsing and downloading. Do not click suspicious links, avoid shady files. Additionally, be careful with emails, a lot of malware is spread through fake/malicious emails. That is the best way of being safe out there. Good luck!

Solution