Similar To Above

Jun 28, 2018
I hooked up my new 7 port USB hub and the printer style USB-Printer like power cord into my laptop. None of the ports recognized except for my onboard ports (3).

This is where the idiot in me comes to surface, I also decide (since it's not recognizing) I know, I'll plug the AC power cord that came with it in too!

Screen goes black and laptop shuts off. I restart it and not I no longer have any working USB ports and my Bluetooth is being recognized in the Bluetooth. It says connected and I hear the connection audio prompts, but have no sound.

What did I do and can you please help me?
Thanks

Joe

Mod Edit for multiple reasons

Wolfshadw

Splendid
1) Don't type in all caps. It's considered shouting and there is no need for that.
2) This is a family oriented site and we prefer foul/vulgar language not be used.
3) Power cables have different power ratings. The printer might have a 9amp rating whereas the laptop only has a 5.5amp rating (examples only). If that be the case, then damage to your laptop is definitely possible.

I'd probably reboot the laptop (if not done already) or try removing the battery for a day and then reseating it. If that doesn't resolve the issue, then I'd consider contacting your laptop manufacturer's technical support as the motherboard may have been fried.

-Wolf sends

Wolfshadw

Splendid
1) Don't type in all caps. It's considered shouting and there is no need for that.
2) This is a family oriented site and we prefer foul/vulgar language not be used.
3) Power cables have different power ratings. The printer might have a 9amp rating whereas the laptop only has a 5.5amp rating (examples only). If that be the case, then damage to your laptop is definitely possible.

I'd probably reboot the laptop (if not done already) or try removing the battery for a day and then reseating it. If that doesn't resolve the issue, then I'd consider contacting your laptop manufacturer's technical support as the motherboard may have been fried.

-Wolf sends

hang-the-9

Titan
I'd say 95% you blew out your motherboard with an over-current surge on the USB connections and it won't be fixable without a motherboard swap. At times you may just see an error in Windows about overcurrent detected in USB, but with what happened, looks like it fried the motherboard.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
M Laptop Tech Support 1
E Laptop Tech Support 3
T Laptop Tech Support 1
A Laptop Tech Support 5
C Laptop Tech Support 3
M Laptop Tech Support 3
S Laptop Tech Support 1
P Laptop Tech Support 1
M Laptop Tech Support 1
J Laptop Tech Support 4
I Laptop Tech Support 1