Simple cheap pctv, ps3, and record player setup

sensgoal

Prominent
Sep 15, 2017
HI All,

I currently have a PCTV a record player, a cable box and I want to add a PS3 to the mix AND upgrade the PC as cheaply as posible.

If you were starting with a blank canvas of the TV, the PS3, and a record player what would you buy for a PC (or chromebook, or mini PC) Basically I am only looking for a high end browsing capability (not good enough on PS3).

Lastly what is the simplest way to tie it all together with the littlest number of remotes and one set of speakers.

Please let me know if you need more info.

Thanks,
Les

Solution
To do this the cheapest way you just need an input selector to connect to the input of the powered speakers. You can use one like this
https://www.amazon.com/Stereo-Manual-Selector-Sharing-Switch/dp/B00NTJET10
Use HDMI to connect sources to the TV. If the TV has an analog audio or headphone output you can connect that to the switcher. If not you could use a digital to analog converter to provide that output. The TV will need to be able to output PCM stereo. Check the TV audio menu or manual.
The turntable would connect directly to the switcher (as could any sources that have analog audio outputs).

googlyeyedchicken

Prominent
Sep 15, 2017
So you already have a TV, PS3 and a record player or a CD player? If it is a record player how is this setup now?Are you are using the PCTV USB Tuner? Are you going to be recording anything (like shows)? Do you only want to browse the web (you could use a Micro PC) or do you want this to be a normal PC that you hook up to the tv? DO you want something that is running Windows? Do you want to use a keyboard and mouse or do you want to sit on the couch and browse the web? For what you have now, I am envisioning a TV with PS3 and some PC hooked to it, a PCTV USB tuner plugged into the PC, and then the record player hooked up to some speakers.

sensgoal

Prominent
Sep 15, 2017

sensgoal

Prominent
Sep 15, 2017
Hi there! Thanks for your reply.

Currently it's annoying. The stereo is just a turntable. It's got two possible ways of attaching to the system 1 through RCA cables and the other is through a 3.5 mm headphone jack style connector. I have a set of PC speakers plugged into the PC but annoyingly right now when I want to use the cable box I only get the speaker from the TV which is horrible sound. When I want to use the turntable I have to go unplug the PC speakers and plug them into the turntable. My preference obviously would be to have them all tied together somehow. I like the idea of a Mini PC actually that's a great idea for a small investment truly I don't think I need Windows so perhaps a chromebit might be a good fit. My only concern about a chromebit is does it stop me from solving the solution of tying the entire system together. So right now I only get TV sound when I'm using the cable box as well so in an Ideal World I would have good quality sound from my TV from the turntable from the cable box and from the PC and from the PS3.

It's making my head spin just thinking about it!

if I bought a chromebit and plugged it into the TV then plug the PS3 into the TV and the cable box into the TV using the 3 hdmi ports I think I'm almost there, but then how do I get the turntable into the same sound?

To do this the cheapest way you just need an input selector to connect to the input of the powered speakers. You can use one like this
https://www.amazon.com/Stereo-Manual-Selector-Sharing-Switch/dp/B00NTJET10
Use HDMI to connect sources to the TV. If the TV has an analog audio or headphone output you can connect that to the switcher. If not you could use a digital to analog converter to provide that output. The TV will need to be able to output PCM stereo. Check the TV audio menu or manual.
The turntable would connect directly to the switcher (as could any sources that have analog audio outputs).

Solution