Solved! Single-cord headset mic not working

Jul 12, 2018
My realtek driver is updated. I've used the mic on this laptop before. It's my default device. My laptop seems to think that the recording device is the built-in mic when in actuality, it's a headset mic. Also, output is working is working.

Solution
A few more things to try. First would be a hard restart. Power off the laptop, unplug the battery and charger, and hold down the power button for 30-40 seconds. Then boot it and try the mic again.

If that doesn't work by itself, try going into the realtek audio manager (or whatever audio manager you might have) and seeing if any other mics are set to active. I usually have to change mine there even if the correct one is set to default in windows. If you have one, they usually pop up if you unplug and plug back in the headset.

Finally, i know you said that your drivers are updated, but I would do a clean install to make sure nothing is corrupted. Go back into the device manager, click the "audio inputs and outputs" dropdown, right...
Jul 12, 2018

It's a headset with one cable instead of two. Also, I'm on Windows 10 so that's not an option

shmoochie

Prominent
May 10, 2018
You should be able to on windows 10. The sound icon on the lower right corner of the screen is what I'm talking about. You should be able to right click it. Or you can just type "sound" in the search bar, select the top option, and click on the "recording" tab.

Jul 12, 2018

It's already my default device

shmoochie

Prominent
May 10, 2018
Try these from a similar thread:

Try going into "Control Panel" and then click on "Hardware and Sound". Click on "device manager" under the devices and printers, right click on "Sound, video and game controllers". Then click "Scan for hardware changes". See if it will then register the device.

Have you checked to make sure that the jack you are using actually is for 'both' a microphone and speakers? Or is it possible it is only for speakers/headphones? If that is the case, you could try getting either a mic that works via USB or a connector to connect your mic to a USB port (which I am assuming the laptop has).

Courtesy of webworkings (updated for windows 10): http://www.tomsguide.com/answers/id-3144832/laptop-default-mic-plugged-mic.html

Jul 12, 2018

I tried the first method and there was no change. I've used my headset on this laptop before so the headphone jack is for both.

Jul 12, 2018

I've done both of these. Nothing happened.

shmoochie

Prominent
May 10, 2018
A few more things to try. First would be a hard restart. Power off the laptop, unplug the battery and charger, and hold down the power button for 30-40 seconds. Then boot it and try the mic again.

If that doesn't work by itself, try going into the realtek audio manager (or whatever audio manager you might have) and seeing if any other mics are set to active. I usually have to change mine there even if the correct one is set to default in windows. If you have one, they usually pop up if you unplug and plug back in the headset.

Finally, i know you said that your drivers are updated, but I would do a clean install to make sure nothing is corrupted. Go back into the device manager, click the "audio inputs and outputs" dropdown, right click on your mic and click "properties," and uninstall the device. Power off the computer, and then boot it back up. It should scan and automatically download the newest drivers.

To be honest, if those don't work I would begin to wonder if the jack or the headset had gone bad. Can you get your hands on another headset to test?

Solution
Jul 12, 2018

Just had to unplug the mic and plug it back in. Thx for the suggestions, though.

shmoochie

Prominent
May 10, 2018

Glad you got it working. I shouldn't have made the assumption that you had already tried basic troubleshooting.