Single jack for a headset with both speakers and a microphone

Slate59

Commendable
May 4, 2016
I've found a few posts about this issue but all of the resolves just tell people to go buy something else, I'm not going to buy another piece of hardware so my original product can work. I have a computer with 8 different ports for jacks. If the divider they are going to buy can split the audio why can't one of the ones on my computer? If anyone could please assist me it would be much appreciated.

greens

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2012
Slate, you probably should have made sure of that before purchasing either product!

Almost no computer is going to support a 4 pole 3.5mm jack. Those are only used for mobile devices, like cellphones and tablets.

Sorry!

greens

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2012
And to answer your question, it can't just be split, look at the 3.5mm jack, then look at a typical stereo 3.5mm jack, see how the extra bands are there? Your motherboard simply doesn't have the physical components to even make a connection with a 4 pole.

Slate59

Commendable
May 4, 2016

Not sure why this got posted as a solution, it's not even correct. It can in fact be split provided you purchase a ten dollar splitter which separates the single audio jack into two separate jacks. From three rings to four, and in reverse, if you have a headset with the standard two audio jacks, it can be linked to fit a single four pole jack. Furthermore, this is not only not a solution, it is simply rude, as his previous comment just insulted my decision in purchasing.