Skyfire Browser on Android Does Flash Video

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zoonie

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2007
Correction. Skyfire does Flash on all platforms it's available on since it just acts as a viewer for the rendered pages sent from their servers. Downside: Large data traffic.. It really chews it away.

marcob24k

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2010
another correction is hulu.com is blocking the skyfire browser. The WinMob was working about a yearf ago until hulu started blocking the browser. There are youtube videos showing hulu.com working prior to it being blocked.

razor512

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2007
It used to work fine, I used to use it with my dell axim x51v but then hulu blocked it. they tend to block everything thats not a desktop web browsers because they want only things that can easily click on their obnoxious ads.

When I used it even though my pocket pc is only 624MHz and has 64MB RAM (32MB free at startup) it runs flash videos smoothly, but it does have a high CPU usage which may be bad for users who don't have an extended battery. Playing flash content can easily knock your battery life down to 2 hours or less, and if your a little far (depending on your device) the wifi radio will kick into full power to boost it's transmit power by a lot and do a lot of other stuff to improve the signal, if that happens, you are looking at about 15 hours or less of battery life from flash.

Because of the flash content, I had to get my self an extended battery.

Kelavarus

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2009
that clunky Firefox pre-alpha released yesterday (which I had to uninstall to retrieve my 38 MB of internal memory).

Key words being pre-alpha? Never mind beta, never mind even alpha, it's pre-alpha. Don't be bashin' it so hard.

razor512

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2007
[citation][nom]Kelavarus[/nom]Key words being pre-alpha? Never mind beta, never mind even alpha, it's pre-alpha. Don't be bashin' it so hard.[/citation]

the final product of their mobile browser will have a system requirement of 256MB ram recommended, 128MB minimum.
while it alpha (further along in windows mobile), it doesn't really offer anything new compared to browsers like opera mobile 10 but it uses more than 6 times the resources. Just because mobile devices now have more memory, does not mean that you should make your browser use more, all this leads to is less headroom for expanding memory usage due to opening additional tabs and little to no ability to multitask because launching their massive browser will cause the os to close background apps to free up memory for the oversized browser. A big selling point for many mobile devices now is multitasking, you cant do that if the web browser takes up all of the available memory.

with other browsers, you can generally do stuff like have a few torrents downloading in the background while you listen to music and surf the web.

this all has to do with a major flaw in all mobile devices like this. there is no virtual memory, in windows if 50% of your total memory is in use and you suddenly open a massive app that wants 80% of all of your systems memory, then windows will simply free up the memory by pushing what ever was using that 50%, to virtual memory. because these mobile devices lack virtual memory, the apps are simply closed when more memory is needed.

alextheblue

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2001
[citation][nom]razor512[/nom]the final product of their mobile browser will have a system requirement of 256MB ram recommended, 128MB minimum.while it alpha (further along in windows mobile), it doesn't really offer anything new compared to browsers like opera mobile 10 but it uses more than 6 times the resources.[/citation]The Zoom feature in Opera Mobile 10 is a bit weak. It's a brain dead one click zoom. Yeah, you can adjust the "base zoom level" in the settings, but that is annoying if you need to adjust it periodically. My Omnia 2 came with Opera 9 preinstalled, and that version supports the phone's native zoom function, so I can quickly and freely adjust zoom to any level.

So at least in this one way, I feel the newer Opera mobile 10 could use a little more work. Native phone zoom support would totally make it my only browser. As for the browser itself, 10 is better, plus I like the new "speed dial" homepage.

Status
Not open for further replies.