Skyfire Racks In Nearly 1M on App Store

Status
Not open for further replies.

yao

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2009
more like a victory of flash player in iphone.. I still don't understand why apple block flash completely.

alexttlyrocks

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2010
[citation][nom]nick8191[/nom]Flash on the iphone! Looks like Steve Job lost this round[/citation]

not really, because in the end it still converts it to HTML5. wasn't that what jobs wanted in the first place?
I still don't understand why jobs is seen as the devil for providing quality products. if you want more 'open source' android is a fantastic alternative.

tommysch

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
Flash is BAD except if you make 30% of the profits. There's an app for that!

[citation][nom]alexttlyrocks[/nom]not really, because in the end it still converts it to HTML5. wasn't that what jobs wanted in the first place?I still don't understand why jobs is seen as the devil for providing quality products. if you want more 'open source' android is a fantastic alternative.[/citation]

Dont be so harsh on the Devil...

LePhuronn

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2007
[citation][nom]alexttlyrocks[/nom]I still don't understand why jobs is seen as the devil for providing quality products[/citation]

Well when he provides a quality product we'll let him off the hook.

Until then, he'll continue to be derided for his arrogant, close-minded, petty, insulting and childish behaviour and company policy, and the underpowered, overpriced and decidedly mediocre (and not even that well built any more) products.

kingssman

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2006
I never used skyfire on iphone, but i don't care for skyfire on android. I dunno, i think the android stock browser is great and i don't see any use for mobile opera, skyfire, or dolphin.

Am i missing something here?

firebee1991

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2010
I find it funny how everyone is touting this as a victory against Apple. You know Apple approved the app, right? Also, since they get a 30% cut of App Store profits, that's a hefty $300,000 that they pocketed from this. All this, without their dreaded "battery life ruining". Doesn't sound like too bad of a deal for Apple to me.

firebee1991

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2010
[citation][nom]kingssman[/nom]I never used skyfire on iphone, but i don't care for skyfire on android. I dunno, i think the android stock browser is great and i don't see any use for mobile opera, skyfire, or dolphin.Am i missing something here?[/citation]
I don't know about the newer Android phones, but running Opera on my HTC Hero is amazingly faster than the stock browser just as far as software goes, not to mention how much faster pages load due to Opera's compression. The rendering of pages is more mobile-friendly, you get tabbed browsing, you can sync with your desktop browser if you use Opera, and using the trackball to navigate is much improved over the Android browser. Opera Mini is an amazing app.

G

[citation][nom]dalethepcman[/nom]I find it hilarious that Steve will have successfully made the creators of skyfire millions of dollars by not allowing Flash on his beloved iOS.[/citation]
You forget that Steve will still take his cut from those millions of dollars ;)

quotas47

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2009
What I still don't understand is Apple gets 30% for running an approval process, and making applications available to its consumers. It makes money off its product by making money off it's product's main selling point.
I think apple is about to patent "Both ends against the middle"

They're Skyfire's servers hosting the service for heaven's sake. Skyfire is the one who had to shut down due to demand.

This should also prove something else few seem to realize. If a prepared company who was functional on all myriad of android devices had to suspend service 5 hours after going live on the iPhone, imagine what Verizon's lacking-true-data&phone-duplex-and-unprepared-for-iPhone-user-flood will experience after that exclusivity contract is up.
Verizon iPhone user on network with hundreds of thousands of other iPhone users: "gosh Verizon's network sucks/is slow/bad. Why can't I browse the iTunes store and browse the web while I talk on the phone?"

I'm gonna laaaaaaaugh.

noveloa

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2010
so in the long run Mr Stevie here is taking his cut from an app that does what the device should do natively. Its like selling an upgrade to the phone.

I see what you did thar... >.>

Status
Not open for further replies.