Skype Banned in China to Protect Local Telcos

Status
Not open for further replies.

tank

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2009
Its articles like these I am grateful to live in a free country no matter how screwed it might become sometimes.

matt87_50

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2009
lol, atleast their crazy bannings for political, cultural, social reasons, ect, have some weight... but this is just to protect their state owned monopoly of OBSOLETE technology!

not only are they forcing people to use their state run services, but they are forcing them to use older, much more expensive services! its just about money! what a joke!

sonofliberty08

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2009
the people can still use other service even the skype been block in china ,
but to me i think all those teleco charge too much and make too much money , we should all switch to wi-fi and make internet call on mobile phone instead of GSM/GPRS/3G for lower cost and lower radiation

G

It's not just to protect the big State owned companies which is a big part of it but it is to achieve complete control to be all to spy on ALL communications. How is this not violating trade agreements? How is it ok for China to be allowed free all access to every countries markets but they can block everything or require a minority joint venture stake with a state owned company. Youtube- blocked, Facebook-blocked, Twitter-blocked, Many blogsites-blocked
It really is hypocritical that they ban all these foreign companies but if you look at the Chinese sites they are flooded with stolen foreign products.

dogman_1234

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2009
Why are we doing business with communists. I thought as a captialistic country we did not agree with communism. Now we are their..ummm...Bich.

kkiddu

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2009
Chinese crap.

1. They block stuff. Nuff said.
2. They protect their industries that copy stuff. I'd give an example but I don't think anybody here needs one.
3. They attack Google. If atheist net-junkies have a God, this is it.
4. They sell nuclear tech to terrorists (read Pakistan).

And still half the world would collapse without it.

Anybody think it's time to reduce dependency on China ?

web11

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2009
I say we should start blocking Chinese products from being imported to our country. Sure the big corporations that ship jobs overseas will cry about it but I bet our factory workers will approve of that measure...

g00fysmiley

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2010
well obviously they didn't want Thier telecom companies to go under so they ban western ones... makes sense in a way consumers lose but who carse abotu them ... big buisness wins again

fayzaan

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2010
[citation][nom]joytech22[/nom]I don't get China, they do all this stupid stuff like blocking websites and their reasons suck.[/citation]

How do the reasons suck? they're trying to improve their economy. They want to help local business flourish. Not like you silly westerns who don't give a rats ass about local population, only corporations (who work globally and hand over jobs to poor people for a $1/hr outside the local country).

conanstwin

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2010
This is a natural part of technology and business. It will be more hurtful to the people longterm by preventing a cheap means of communication that others can benefit from in other countries. It will probably prove to be futile anyway. Wouldn't it be better to get the local telecoms to invest in beefing up their DSL infrastructure to reach their booming markets? How else is Skype used? That could make up for the loss and benefit China much more.

g00ey

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2009
China is not the only country where political measures are taken to skew the competition in favour of a small clique of people. I would say that most western countries are a lot worse than China is but self-awareness has not been one of our strengths.

youssef 2010

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2009
Just like Ubi soft with their stupid DRM.Although no pirating is involved this time.They won't be able to stop the people from having their freedom on the net. Completely futile in my opinion. In my country, we have a saying that means "If you want people to obey you, then give orders that can be done" .

Status
Not open for further replies.