Skype Voice Calling Now Features "Conversation Ads"

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrSiko

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2006
Quoted : Skype users should look at the ads as a way to generate "fun" and make Skype "more engaging" and a "useful place to have conversations.

HAHAHAHAHAHA!!! This guy is smooooth :D So that's why I haven't been generating enough fun recently, not enough ads :D Darn you AdBlock, or rather FunBlock(tm).

icepick314

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2002
so if the users are in voice call, there will be video ads on the window?

simple solution...minimize the window!

you don't need to have Skype window open to talk...I usually browse the net when I'm doing voice calls on Skype anyway....

southernshark

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2009
I buy about 10 dollars worth of credits every six months anyway, just for when I have to call a land line. As someone who lives outside of the USA it is still cheaper to do International Calls that way.

As for the annoyance of this... yes it is annoying, but as long as there is no audio it is essentially meaningless. I don't even look at the Skype window after I have made a call.

atmos929

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
and here I was thinking that they meant that it would feature ads in THE audio of the call... as if it was some kind of radio station... mm... not sure if "fun" but that would surely trigger a reaction in the conversation... mmm...
*sends proposal to Venkatachalam and waits for check to arrive*

KelvinTy

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2011
I thought they have in call ads since the "update" to version 5.8? Why all the fuzz now? What I am interested is how often is it and would it screw with someone's data plan on a smartphone. Also, a patch or plugin or crack or purified version without it. ^_^

syrious1

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2010
We're excited to introduce Conversations Ads as an opportunity for marketers to reach our hundreds of millions of connected users in a place where they can have meaningful conversations about brands in a highly engaging environment

Trust me, this guy is the only one who is "excited" about ads..... and seriously who the fu@k has meaningful conversations about ads?!

I want some of what that guy is smoking.

sacre

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2006
Well time to ditch Skype for another software. This is absolutely fucked.

Bad enough I get ads on every webpage, youtube video, commercials on TV, my shirts, pants, games, in the games, side of streets, radio, satellite, on my fucking phone, EVERYWHERE.

Now we can't have a fucking convo online without being forced to either A - Pay Skype money, or B - Watch an Ad.

Got to love the way society is going, "Futurama" didn't have it too far off, soon we'll have ads projected into our dreams as we sleep.

I wish I had the chance to not live on this planet anymore.

cscott_it

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2009
I'm not sure why everyone is always so up in arms about things like this. Skype needs a way to generate a meaningful profit, rather than sustain itself by being an "investor black hole". Youtube is a great example, once they got their foothold, now they are using ads so they actually make profit- and people are wigging out.

You have to generate revenue, and a little picture or non-audio flash animation is a good way to generate ad-revenue without detracting from the user experience. I mean, not to sound like a douchebag, but if that really detracts you... well, maybe there is something else you should be more concerned about.

teddymines

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2011
"Hey kids! What do you want to do for fun today? The beach? Amusement park? Movie?"

"No Dad, let's start a Skype conversation and talk about the advertisements that come up!"

devBunny

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2012
"a little picture or non-audio flash animation is a good way to generate ad-revenue without detracting from the user experience. I mean, not to sound like a douchebag, but if that really detracts you... well, maybe there is something else you should be more concerned about"

ADHD/ADD can be a terribly frustrating condition to have in a madvertising world where "Look at me!" moving images prevent you from focusing on a page's proper content.

I cannot stay on sites that have such a policy unless they're really essential, in which case I have to zap 'em with custom AdBlock or Proxomitron filters. Wish I could do the same in the Post Office, tube stations and buses where they've stuck ad videos in my face. Grrrrr!

cscott_it

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2009
I can see that I'm espousing an unpopular view.

@DevBunny

I can relate, I have ADHD. Still, from a business perspective it makes sense. It's why I purposefully do not use ad-blocker and if I want to buy something from newegg, I use a referal link from a website I like (tomshardware, anandtech, etc.). It's a way to support a service that you use and contribute in your own way without incurring any cost.

Maybe my views can be contributed to working IT in the business sector, but by using things like AdBlock you aren't doing your favorite site any favors - you are preventing them from making money.

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]syrious1[/nom]Trust me, this guy is the only one who is "excited" about ads..... and seriously who the fu@k has meaningful conversations about ads?! I want some of what that guy is smoking.[/citation]
devils advocate here.
superbowl ads.

i know my friends have serious conversations about them every year.

[citation][nom]cscott_it[/nom]I can see that I'm espousing an unpopular view.@DevBunny I can relate, I have ADHD. Still, from a business perspective it makes sense. It's why I purposefully do not use ad-blocker and if I want to buy something from newegg, I use a referal link from a website I like (tomshardware, anandtech, etc.). It's a way to support a service that you use and contribute in your own way without incurring any cost. Maybe my views can be contributed to working IT in the business sector, but by using things like AdBlock you aren't doing your favorite site any favors - you are preventing them from making money.[/citation]

i share your view... however after the 1000th time i had to sit through a scott walker get him out commercial, im willing to vote for him out of spite if he isnt ousted from office. and when almost every ad that i see is for something useless i cant care about, like a car that i cant afford, or house morgages, i tend to see it as a waste of everything. or just that full page flash that i need to find the elusive X to get rid of, or worse yet, the blue text minefield which is getting VERY popular.

honestly, once the ads make me mad i stop caring.

but people need to see them, sites need money, less you want to pay a subscription for everything, and honestly, most people lose sight of that in a blind hate of ads.

Status
Not open for further replies.