sli vs single card

danielmc24

Estimable
Feb 10, 2015
So I've been saving up and looking at gaming laptops and wanted to know is it worth the money to get a gtx 980m sli (ie. A msi gt80 titan) or should I just get one with a single graphics card? Will the single card last as long as a duel?

Solution
The difference isn't that significant unless you're playing on a 4k display, or 144hz monitor.

The only game that doesn't run smooth on a single 980m is Assassin's Creed Unity, which doesn't run smooth on anything.

If you're paying more than 50% more for the SLI, I wouldn't even consider it, as SLI is not always used effectively.

AdviserKulikov

Estimable
Jan 13, 2015
The difference isn't that significant unless you're playing on a 4k display, or 144hz monitor.

The only game that doesn't run smooth on a single 980m is Assassin's Creed Unity, which doesn't run smooth on anything.

If you're paying more than 50% more for the SLI, I wouldn't even consider it, as SLI is not always used effectively.

Solution

holyprof

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2011
Multi-GPU solutions are never as good or as future-proof as single card, so i won't recommend it unless you're going to plug your laptop into a very high resolution external monitor or TV set. A single GTX980M should be ok.