Slow Installing and Copying/moving of files

Jun_957

Commendable
Aug 18, 2016
I Have a Dell Vostro 5460
when I install programs and copying moving files, it takes a very long time to do it.,

for example, i installed MS Office 2013 and it takes about 5 hours to completely install.
when im copying/moving files the speed drops to zero from time to time.
i looked at the task manager but the resources are rarely used

ive reinstalled the OS 3 times already, with same problems.

My system specs are:
intel core i5
4gb ram
500gb hdd
nvidia geforce 630m

i formatted my hard drive as GPT UEFi mode
windows 10 home 64 bit

in fact it boots about 5 seconds only

i tried to look at the S.M.A.R.T. of my HDD
but the health says 100%,
i already defragged it.,

hope you can help me.,

Solution
I fixed it by connecting my hard drive to another computer then converted it from GPT to MBR then back again to GPT. now ive installed it in UEFI GPT and switched secure boot on, my laptop now's very fast., thanks for trying to help me though

SuperSoph_WD

Estimable
Jul 30, 2014
Welcome to the TH Community, @Jun_957!

It might also be a good idea to check your SATA controller and Chipset drivers and manually update them from the laptop manufacturer's official website. Sometimes, Windows tends to install generic and a bit outdated drivers.
IF you have access to a PC, you might as well plug the hard drive there and see how it will perform. If the laptop is still under warranty, I'd definitely not tamper with the hardware physically, though! This would void the warranty. Instead, contact the manufacturer's customer support for assistance.

Keep me posted with the troubleshooting & make sure you backup any important data off-site.
Good luck!
SuperSoph_WD

Jun_957

Commendable
Aug 18, 2016
I fixed it by connecting my hard drive to another computer then converted it from GPT to MBR then back again to GPT. now ive installed it in UEFI GPT and switched secure boot on, my laptop now's very fast., thanks for trying to help me though

Solution

Jun_957

Commendable
Aug 18, 2016