Slow Internet Speeds on my Samsung TV

Status
Not open for further replies.

pgoughy

Prominent
Nov 14, 2017
I am getting incredibly slow speeds on my Samsung Smart TV. My last reading was 0.27 Mbps where as my laptop was 43.57 Mbps on the same network less than 2 metres away from the TV. What could be causing this and how could I fix it. It is making it impossible to watch streamed TV.

Solution

pgoughy

Prominent
Nov 14, 2017

My desktop and laptop are getting fast speeds and the laptop is very close to the TV.

SoggyTissue

Prominent
Jun 27, 2017
could be that the connection setup isnt correct?

could be the firmware needs updating?

could be there is interference from surrounding electrical goods, causing bad signal.

could be smart tv not very smart .... its andriod and samsung ... these 2 words dont go well together in my experience. i bet its sitting on the same ip address as something else in your household, causing collision/conflict.

finally, and i dont want to sound like im wearing a tin hat, but your IOT (internet of things) has an os, it can be infected with any manor of nasties, and no real way to av scan them.

i welcome all the nay-sayers about to tell you that tvs dont get viruses etc. right upto the point where a massive ddos from IOT devices makes the news again.

ke6ggc

Prominent
Jan 18, 2018
I too have the same problem.My ISP is AT&T and when I run speed test I'm getting around 35Mbps on all my WiFi devices so I know that my modem is transmitting at the correct speed. I rebooted the modem, rebooted the set-top box, I logged off and back on. I unplugged and re-plugged the devices. I checked the IP addresses so there is no overlap. I made sure no other devices were on that would suck the bandwidth. I reinstalled the Netflix App in Smart Hub, I made sure the TV software was at the latest release and I'm still getting 0.27mbps speed when streaming Netflix. Through all this process of elimination I believe that the WiFi receiver on the TV may have gone bad.

I would like to know if there is some diagnostic that can run on the TV to check the WiFi receiver or the streaming bandwidth. If not I have no choice but to buy a hub and split the Ethernet connection to my set-top box and the other to the TV and instead of using WiFi to access the Internet from the TV I'll have to go with a hardwired connection.

pgoughy

Prominent
Nov 14, 2017

I fixed this problem by switching from the 5GHZ Wifi option to the regular one.

Solution
May 7, 2018

Guys, I was scratching my head iver the same issue, i have two samsung 55inch tv’s brand new both of them and one of them started beeing soooo slow on wifi.. i found out that one was conecti g to the 5ghz channel and the slow one was on the 2.4ghz.. i went into my router settings and changed the name of the 5ghz conection so i would now have 2 different networks, both of them with the same password, that way i would be able to kinda choose what devices connect to 2.4 or 5ghz... conected both tv’s to the 5ghz channel, PROBLEM SOLVED!!! I hope this works for you too...

Status
Not open for further replies.