Small non-uniform line on screen MSI laptop

maj3091

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2012
Hi,
Just looking for some advice on an issue with my daughters laptop (MSI Gp72 17"). The screen has developed a small line on the screen approximately 1.5" in length. This line has changed it's shape, but I can't get it to do it on demand (i.e.: pressing screen or moving the lid). I've uploaded two images to show the different shapes

Connecting to an external monitor it looks OK.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated on trying to fix the issue, or is it going to be a case of a new screen (assuming that's a viable option).

Thanks,

MAJ

Pic_2.jpg

Pic_1.jpg

maj3091

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2012

Thanks for your input, that's exactly what I thought when she sent me the picture, but on closer inspection of the laptop itself it appears not.

That's most likely a hair. Since it extends to the edge of the screen, you can try removing the bezel to access the top of the LCD panel. If part of the hair is sticking out, you can use some tweezers to gently pull it out.

Edit: The moire pattern and the fact that the hair is also experiencing it makes it likely the hair is between the LCD panel and the diffuser (evens out the light brightness). So the hair was probably introduced into the panel at manufacture, and later fell down to where it obstructs the screen. If the laptop is under warranty, exchange it - it's nearly impossible to separate the LCD and diffuser without damaging the panel. If the laptop is out of warranty, there's not much you can do. Maybe hold the screen upside down and shake it around so hopefully the hair falls back into the top edge, out of sight.

maj3091

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2012

You're the second person in quick succession to suggest this, so maybe there is something in it that warrants a closer inspection. Thanks for the reply.

maj3091

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2012
Just a quick update as it's been a while. It turned out to be a hair or fibre of some description within the panel itself which is now almost invisible at the bottom of the screen as it's moved it's way down over time. I would never have guessed it would be something like that as the laptop is around 2 years old, so I'm surprised it's taken so long to show up.

Thanks for the input from those that did, it was appreciated.

t53186

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2006

Good to hear, thanks for sharing the solution