Andrew_129

Commendable
May 9, 2016
I have an older HP Pavilion laptop that runs Windows 7. I am a music producer and I've had a white noise type sound (not super loud) coming from the computer to my headphones for a while now. I know that it isn't my headphones because they are totally fine on all other devices. I ran my headphones through an audio interface I borrowed from a friend, thinking that that would solve the issue, but it is still there. The noise DOES adjust according to the volume I have the computer at. If the computer is on mute, there is no sound and if it's at full volume, the noise is much louder. I was reading about grounding problems, which I thought might be the issue but I have no idea really. How does one go about fixing an issue like this? Is there a product I need to buy? Or a driver I need to install? Or does my laptop need to be opened up and fixed?

Hi,

I would suggest uninstalling/reinstalling the sound card driver first before opening the laptop. :)
- Go to Device Manager and uninstall the Sound card driver.
- Once uninstalled, download and install the latest driver from HP support site.
- Here's the link: http://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/
- Reboot the laptop once the latest driver has been installed.
- If it will still not work and if the laptop is still under the factory warranty, do send it for a repair.