Smartphone Battery Life Jumps 50% With Wi-Fi Scaling

Status
Not open for further replies.

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
So, disabling/reducing Wi-Fi saves battery. NO REALLY? It took a professor and a research to figure THAT out?!

Wait, there's an iPhone on the picture. People who are using it are probably really that clueless.

sheath

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2009
"pursuing patent protection for the intellectual property, and is seeking commercialization partners to help bring the technology to market"

Welp, there goes 90% of the market that this would get if it was released under a GNU like license.

bv90andy

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2009
From where do Universities get their cash for research? Aren't they being run mostly on donations from businesses/wealthy individuals? Are they allowed to ask for patents on what they discover that way?

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
That, by the way, is ANOTHER instance of a patent that should be NEVER allowed. They can patent a program that will do it but not a concept! Otherwise the wheel, the lever and other simple things can also be patented in a similar way.

THAT is what I mean when I say that patents slow down progress.

killakat

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2010
[citation][nom]amk-aka-phantom[/nom]So, disabling/reducing Wi-Fi saves battery. NO REALLY? It took a professor and a research to figure THAT out?!Wait, there's an iPhone on the picture. People who are using it are probably really that clueless.[/citation]

I think the purpose is to have the ability to use Wi-Fi and have close to the energy-saving features of turning off Wi-Fi as possible: idle to full Wi-Fi use v.s. turn on--> scan network --> connect, then full use. if they implement it right, that would be one less feature to worry about sucking the battery dry; just set it and forget it! :D

Now, about that screen display..........

alyoshka

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009
That's the reason we haven't been using the scan automatically feature in our cells for over 4 years now.......
The battery Life doesn't jump...... misleading title and thanks to apple once again
Same shit sold for a premium..... and more patent crap. I'd be surprised if they didn't sue the shit outta Newton, cos after all gravity belongs to the Apple...... and so would Eureka....

deadlockedworld

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2009
[citation][nom]bv90andy[/nom]From where do Universities get their cash for research? Aren't they being run mostly on donations from businesses/wealthy individuals? Are they allowed to ask for patents on what they discover that way?[/citation]

Very little academic research is funded by the private sector. Its mostly government grants/the university itself. Hopefully whatever they get goes back to the university to fund more research.

nukemaster

Distinguished
[citation][nom]alyoshka[/nom]That's the reason we haven't been using the scan automatically feature in our cells for over 4 years now.......The battery Life doesn't jump...... misleading title and thanks to apple once againSame shit sold for a premium..... and more patent crap. I'd be surprised if they didn't sue the shit outta Newton, cos after all gravity belongs to the Apple...... and so would Eureka....[/citation]
You know the article is about an idea for "Smart Phones" not just Apple phones right?

dark_knight33

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2006
[citation][nom]sheath[/nom]"pursuing patent protection for the intellectual property, and is seeking commercialization partners to help bring the technology to market"Welp, there goes 90% of the market that this would get if it was released under a GNU like license.[/citation]

Someone has to pay for future research. Federal funding & tuition doesn't nearly pay for all the research performed at universities. Patents & licensing does. Exclusive licensing, is the culprit here.

razor512

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2007
I thought the devices already did this since they tend to drop the CPU clock from like 1GHz, to 50MHz when the device is on standby so it would make sense to downclock the wifi radio and reduce it's polling rate to a bare minimum level.

(PS for windows mobile there was another way of reducing the wifi power issue( You put the wifi radio on a schedule, it runs on for a very short time every few minutes (or how long you want the delay) and it checks if theres any new info for it to get)

The benefit is the wifi may only be enabled for like 30 seconds per hour, allowing you to save power.

if they can do that with new wifi hardware and combine the scheduling with the reduced clock rate, then you will get much better battery life out of your devices.

I currently have a hp touchpad and the wifi power management sucks. when in standby, your only option is wifi off or on, when it is on, it is connected to the access point 100% of the time at full rate, (while the standby time is still extremely good, it is better with wifi off, (cant they strike a balance between these 2 extremes?)

memadmax

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2011
Apple will prolly sue these guys into oblivion then either implement it themselves in the form of iSucklesspower or other form of gimmick.....

bystander

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2009
If you have an Android, there is an app that does something similar to this. It's called JuiceDefender. It'll turn off your data when the phone is not active saving tons of battery life.

11796pcs

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2011
[citation][nom]festerovic[/nom]Something useful came from Michigan?[/citation] How about your car? Has something useful ever come from Ohio? I agree that this is another instance of when a patent would be extremely destrucive to technological advancement.

CaedenV

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2011
[citation][nom]11796pcs[/nom]How about your car? Has something useful ever come from Ohio? I agree that this is another instance of when a patent would be extremely destrucive to technological advancement.[/citation]
come on, geeks don't buy american cars lol We buy German, they have all the cool gadgets! Granted VW still cant make a car that doesn't burn out headlights...

becherovka

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2009
"come on, geeks don't buy american cars lol We buy German, they have all the cool gadgets! Granted VW still cant make a car that doesn't burn out headlights..."
Its Japanese cars here in Australia not German cars.

husker

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009
So by using the same logic as employed in this "breakthrough".... 1) If you don't run the a/c in your car as much then you will get better gas mileage... 2) If you don't play as many songs your mp3 batteries will last longer, and 3) If you run less and take frequent breaks you won't get as tired when exercising. Brilliant!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.