Smartphone Madness 2015: Lumia 640 XL vs. BlackBerry Passport

Status
Not open for further replies.

mazty

Distinguished
May 22, 2011
Microsoft has a great selection of phones, and the 640 series shows that. However, they desperately need to clean up the selection as there are far too many, and the numbering makes little sense - the 640 is basically the 840, but the 735 is better in some ways than the 640, but not in others. Very bizarre structure.

Drazek

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2008
it upsets me that the blackberry has made it this far :( - however, I'll have to admit that in this match up the blackberry is the better choice.

kyzarvs

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2008
I repeat my statement from a couple of rounds ago - the BB Classic is newer, has a much better keyboard and is more of an all-rounder-with-keys. I'd prefer to vote for that than the PP, which even as a big BB fan is a niche product of a niche provider.

CausingChaos

Estimable
Apr 2, 2015
There is absolutely no competition in which the iPhone 6, 6+, and S6 lose in the first round to Sharp, OnePlus, an Huawai. How in the world is anyone supposed to take this seriously if 3 of the top 5 phones on the market lose to phones who probably have less than 1% marketshare combined. This must be an April fools thing.

YukonJack

Estimable
Apr 2, 2015

Straw polls like this don't really measure the "best" phone or even the most popular. For one thing, does the readership of the site accurately reflect the market at large?

Then you start to get into brand loyalty. People come on here and vote for products they haven't even used in many instances, in an effort to "represent" for their community.

I'll admit I voted for the Passport, but I did it honestly. I own one, and I'm writing this reply on it. It's an original design that turns out to be remarkably usable. And it has a nicer OS than either the iPhone or the current Galaxy, and I can say that with a straight face because I own a Tab S myself and I constantly provide support to family members with current iOS devices.

So in the end, I don't really know what polls like this ultimately mean. But I felt motivated to vote in this one.

AlexRoosa

Estimable
Apr 3, 2015
This is a great contest. I can say I own a Blackberry Passport and there is nothing like it. I have read other comments as to there is no way Apple should have lost. I have to say Apple is great at marketing and getting people to aspire to buy their products. If you take that out the Blackberry Passport is hands down the better product. Blackberry's name is tarnished and the tech media love to dump on them. I hope the Passport wins...

CausingChaos

Estimable
Apr 2, 2015

It means that this is a niche community that represents the "others". You know when you have a pie chart and a slice is so small that two/three/four other things get lumped together and just called "Other"

Status
Not open for further replies.