Smartphones Could Take the Place of Your Therapist

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I'm all for people not suffering and being healthier in general, but as a Psychologist, I'm insulted that my work is compared to such a shallow set of by-the-book reactions.

EDVINASM

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2011
I was just thinking over weekend while was Googling for information. Used to go to friends and library etc. to get the same info. At least some interaction with people. Now you don't need anyone, just Google the things you need and buy online. And now even therapy session is via AI? Close yourself between 4 walls and live that way.. Sad..

G

Edvinasm you are dead right about that! As a Therapist I have to say I spend most of my time looking at "relationship" as a process with my clients. Another major part is empowering people to take their own responsibility for their live....having a app to take over this responsibility should increase our workload no end.

house70

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
This is dumb. Never gonna happen. It's just an application that monitors how much time you spend in one place. What's next, make it call the authorities and get you committed if you do spend too much time in one place? This is so simplistic and ridiculous, I am embarrassed that a School of Medicine (be it a mediocre one) came up with that thing.

assasin32

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2008
Therapy: Theres an App for that.

[citation][nom]amdfangirl[/nom]You: "I need a therapist"Siri "Here's an app"You "Why is it called HAL?"[/citation]

GLaDOS: This was a triumph! I'm making a note here: Huge Success.

d-isdumb

Honorable
Feb 11, 2012
While I agree some jobs have great use for cell phones I don't carry a cell phone and don't plan on getting one. Leave a message on my home phone and I will get back to you. Being tied down to a digital leash, tracking device is not my idea of being hip or even productive. Don't get started about Facebook.

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]killerchickens[/nom]If your smart phone can replace you therapist you probably don't need a one.[/citation]
meh, most of what a therapist does is listen for key words and makes assumptions based on them... most people dont need one, they just need to go through one to get the drugs they (assuming they have a real problem) need.

people who truly need one is very rare, and if an app can search key words, save a voice chat to make sure you aren't gaming the system, and sends it for review elsewhere and can get you a prescription, that would be gar better than spending 2-300$ for a half to 1 hour session, and having them draw it out as much as they can t get more cash for doing nothing.

yea, if an app can handle the word finding and suggest a prescription, with a real person behind it to make sure you aren't gaming the system (sending them the recordings, not there live) it would be much welcomed.

that said, a phone will never take the place of a calculator with actual buttons, or a real camera. at least for me.

and one last thing, why does all this crap get developed for a phone and not the pc?

G

This is so stupid.
I see a therapist for monthly follow up appointments, and I love the face to face human interaction. She is clever and funny and can talk to me about what my body is going through without confusing medical terms. If I were to have to use an app for that, I would feel like my therapist doesn't care enough about me to see me for 30mins out of a whole month. It would have an opposite effect on me, I wouldn't feel like I was getting the proper or in-depth enough help. Sometimes it's not about the psycho babble, it's about being able to talk to an individual who understand the inner workings of your mind, and can help you to deal with it and control it.

G

I'll just argue from a technological standpoint. Artificial Intelligence has not reached a level that can match the human mind. This is despite the fact that we have at our disposal teraflops of computing power. Now, they are saying that they can make an AI that runs on a smartphone that can interpret human emotion.

Status
Not open for further replies.