Solved! SNES retro to TV

Dec 17, 2018
Hello,

OK, I apologize in advance if this question sounds silly but this is not my area of expertise, so please, bear with me.

I recently purchased a SNES Classic. I opened the box, plugged the SNES HDMI cable to my TV, power it and turned it on. Then I totally forgot that my TV speakers blew out like 8 or 9 years ago...I don't have TV cable and I just use my TV when I watch movies/documentaries that I stream from my PC which I connect to the TV through an HDMI cable and I use some PC speakers; so the audio is coming from the PC.

So, what I'm trying to figure out is: Is there a solution to my SNES-to-TV audio issue?

I was thinking that eventually if I plug in my PC speakers to my TV (I found a PC Audio input port behind the TV), eventually I'll be able to route the sound coming from the SNES HDMI cable to the PC speakers. So, in short, from the SNES to the TV via the HDMI cable and then from the TV to the PC speakers? Am I dreaming?

The model of my TV is that one: https://www.cnet.com/products/dell-w3706mc-37-lcd-tv/
The SNES Classic is that one: https://www.techradar.com/reviews/snes-classic-mini

Thanks a lot for the nice souls who'll spare some of their times to my problem :)

Regards,
Nicolas

Solution
You can't use an input as an output so you can't connect PC speakers directly to your TV unless you have some with a digital audio input.
Your TV has coax and optical digital audio outputs so you would need to convert one of those to analog with a DAC to connect standard speakers with an analog input.
Another option would be to get an HDMI input selector with audio extraction. That would provide an output for the speakers from the SNES and other sources without changing cables.
You can't use an input as an output so you can't connect PC speakers directly to your TV unless you have some with a digital audio input.
Your TV has coax and optical digital audio outputs so you would need to convert one of those to analog with a DAC to connect standard speakers with an analog input.
Another option would be to get an HDMI input selector with audio extraction. That would provide an output for the speakers from the SNES and other sources without changing cables.

Solution