Nov 30, 2018
Hi there. something weird happened to a laptop i just purchased. I set up the laptop and set the full computer name to my name. I moved into a new place, connected to my new flatmates network. As I was applying for jobs online I hit the browse button to locate my resume and it said that it was in a user folder called JOAO. This is my flatmates name. I went into the system and my full computer name had changed to JOAO-pc... what and why is this????

Thanks for reading
Zak

Solution
If a download of W7 is still available from Microsoft's website, grab it and use Rufus to make a bootable drive either on a DVD or a memory stick, flash drive, etc.
What you need to do is to create a Username for yourself in Control Panel>User Accounts then delete any other accounts. The computer name can be anything so long as you can recognise it in a Network.

Quite how you used a browser to open a folder in Windows Explorer, I don't quite get. Are you sure there is some confusion somewhere?

Nov 30, 2018

Thanks for a reply. let me explain further. for instance my chrome download settings say C:\Users\JOAO\Downloads. Its the same when i want to upload something. it comes from C:\Users\JOAO.... plus my pc name changed from my name to JOAO (my new flatmate). I dont understand why his name is now all over my laptop.

Nov 30, 2018

No, I just connected to his wifi. my desktop is connected to the same wifi but nothing has changed.
I changed the name back to My-pc rebooted the laptop then went into configure advance user profile properties
and it says there MY-pc\JOAO..
Thanks for replying BTW

Peter Martin

Estimable
Oct 9, 2014
yeah, I would make him explain what he's up to. That is not a common thing that happens, it's deliberate. better check your bank account and privacy and such to be safe. you both may have infected pcs at this point, his router is highly suspect at this point.

Nov 30, 2018
When I moved in he said he was into IT... I went on to call him Mr Robot. lol.. Do you think id be out of line to start the integration off with a headbutt ? or could i just restore my laptop to factory settings and stop it that way?

Factory reset is best and unless it's a built-in Windows 10 including 1809, you needn't go online until you've set it all up. Just watch out for the "Skip this step" line in pale blue on a blue screen. Cunning, aren't they.

If you do have the 1809 built-in it doesnt give you the option to set up without going online. Go to the nearest McDonalds - their network might just be more secure than your flatmate's.

Nov 30, 2018

Its a fairly old laptop that I picked up for £20. It had xp installed but the guy I got it from said he put windows 7 on it. can I still do a factory reset without a windows 7 disc? I feel like this is my best option if possible