Socket almost blew up while booting a laptop

Hakolb

Estimable
Nov 5, 2014
So I got a non-working, out of warranty laptop to play with. It was really old and dusty so I decided to disassemble it and clean out the dust out of the fan and heat sink. It also came without a battery.

So after assembling it back, everything looked pretty good except the fact that a few screws were left unused. I plugged in the charger and the power led turned on. When I tried to boot it, the fan started spinning and everything seemed normal but then my socket started crackling.
I've seen this before and I know that it is about to blow up when this noise starts. Luckily, I managed to plug it out quickly.
What could I have I done wrong? Is there a safe way to test it again?

Solution
It was a non-working system that you did not re-assemble properly, not much of a question what went wrong there.

First put it together properly, if it still does not work, you already said it was a not working system, so power jack issue or bad motherboard or bad charger can all be the reason for the noise.
Hi,

The unused screw ca be the factor why it almost blew up. There maybe some motherboard components that was supposed to have screws on it so it will not touch other components that would cause it to short circuit. I would suggest disassembling your laptop again and find where those unused screws are for and after that try booting it up and hopefully the motherboard isn't fried yet after what happened to it.

It was a non-working system that you did not re-assemble properly, not much of a question what went wrong there.

First put it together properly, if it still does not work, you already said it was a not working system, so power jack issue or bad motherboard or bad charger can all be the reason for the noise.

Solution