Software and Optimization Tips

JMLM

Estimable
Jul 26, 2014
Just finished my build(which will be used for GAMING), and i wanted to know whats the most useful software that will help my pc stay fast and clean. Also any general tips/tricks that I can do with the BIOS or the OS would be grrreeeaaaatttt.

Anti-virus: Kasparsky

Suggestions for a simple music player would be great as well(heard foobar is pretty good) and I'm sure there are others that i'm overlooking, like a software that monitors cpu usuage and ram and etc.

Remember, FAST and CLEAN are the key words here.

Solution
Keep shortcuts to folders on your desktop, instead of large folders full of data
Use ccleaner on a regular basis to clean up the system
Use a good/resource light antivirus (such as MSE, or Avast)
You can switch your hard drive to the first boot device in the BIOS
If there's a quickboot option, make sure it's enabled, decrease any HDD delay
Mind the sites you visit online, to avoid picking up nasties

Pinhedd

Distinguished

The best anti-virus, cleaner, maintainer, and optimizer is a smart user. Don't trust software to keep your PC safe and clean, do it yourself by observing best practices. Just like a house, a PC will not get dirty on its own, it requires a careless owner.

The default settings on most modern operating systems are almost always the most optimal for general usage so don't muck around with things unless you thoroughly understand them. Furthermore, don't follow random guides that you find on the internet/youtube. I spend a significant amount of time here simply undoing damage that individuals cause because they don't know what they are doing and they follow instructions written by someone else who has no idea what they are doing. If a random piece of software / registry setting was able to boost performance without consequence then it would be enabled by default.

JMLM

Estimable
Jul 26, 2014

So what would you say are the best practices?

aford10

Distinguished
Keep shortcuts to folders on your desktop, instead of large folders full of data
Use ccleaner on a regular basis to clean up the system
Use a good/resource light antivirus (such as MSE, or Avast)
You can switch your hard drive to the first boot device in the BIOS
If there's a quickboot option, make sure it's enabled, decrease any HDD delay
Mind the sites you visit online, to avoid picking up nasties

Solution