Solid State $2.85 Light Bulb Lasts 60 Years

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Some websites note that this light is nothing more than 24 x LED lights on a socket!
The 24LED/socket is already in production for many years in Germany, and widely sold; so is there any difference that distinguishes the light from the 24LED light bulb?

trevorvdw

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2007
[citation][nom]afrobacon[/nom]$2.85 to produce, so... upwards to $10 to buy? I hope not...[/citation]

Yeah spending $10 per bulb in 60 years again would suck.. oh wait we'll be dead by then...

waffle911

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2007
[citation][nom]ProDigit80[/nom]Some websites note that this light is nothing more than 24 x LED lights on a socket!The 24LED/socket is already in production for many years in Germany, and widely sold; so is there any difference that distinguishes the light from the 24LED light bulb?[/citation]
An LED that can produce more lumens per watt than a Xenon bulb was previously never available, so any 24LED bulb is likely fairly dim in comparison to a compact fluorescent bulb that has been given time to warm up. That's why LED incandescent-replacement bulbs haven't yet caught on (besides their high price). Think Geek has some older design bulbs for sale that do rival incandescents, but they are outrageously expensive before you factor in yearly energy savings. Audi introduced all-LED headlights (low AND high beam) with another similarly new LED technology that was the first to break the 100 lumen/watt barrier. Chances are, this new superbulb will be using something similar in its design.

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
I found a 60-watt replacement CFL at Dollar Tree this past weekend. It's not in a nice round shape like others (two small, straight tubes), but for a dollar, I can't complain. Since they last upwards of 5 years, any CFL replacement will have to be cost-effective.

Plus, whats the incentive for producing bulbs that last 60 years? What kind of company can survive when they only sell products once every 60 years. Sure, there's the long ramp-up time, they can't replace all bulbs at once. Then there's always new installations, and broken bulb replacement (which will be far fewer than vacuum-bulb incandescents and crystal CFLs), but seriously, we'll start a big new industry, and 20 years from now, once everyone has these new super bulbs, 90% of the new businesses will go under. And don't give me any "light bulb service will replace light bulb income" B.S. It doesn't work for free software, it won't work here.

TwoDigital

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2008
I don't mind the $.10 incandescent lights, but I know the extra energy they use is an environmental concern. All I can say is, "Anything but compact fluorescent, thank-you-very-much."

I do photography as a hobby and the CF bulbs with their horrid blue tint are a huge step away from 'natural light.'

DFGum

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2008
Until these bulbs get anywhere close to a ordinary lightbulb get them the hell away from me. I cant stand the offcolor in a room.
Its as bad as looking at things in a dimlight or at dusk.

LightWeightX

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2008
Plus, whats the incentive for producing bulbs that last 60 years? What kind of company can survive when they only sell products once every 60 years

The power company may want to produce these, since they can save in building more power plants.

bounty

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2006
Also I've found LED lights to be pretty directional, if it puts out the equiv of a 60 watt bulb with the same coverage as one, I'm impressed. Meaning, no obviously darker spots 10 feet away. (imagine holding 10 led flashlights in a tree, what it looks like on the walls 10 feet away)

Status
Not open for further replies.