Solution for connecting two devices into home audio system

jacqpot

Commendable
Mar 24, 2016
Hi, I welcome advice on the following:

Currently, I run Apple Airport into my home audio system (basic speaker setup in several rooms with a separate amp per room) using a 3.5 mm male to two RCA male cable. This allows me to stream music off my iPhone or through iTunes on my PC into my home audio system.

When the Amazon Echo Dot is released, I want to run that device through the same cable setup into the same home audio system (which has only one set of RCA female jacks in).

I want to avoid having to manually switch the same cable between the Airport and Dot. So I need something that will allow me to connect both into the home system at the same time (but not to be used at the same time), without degrading signal.

The best solution I have come up with is a mixer along the lines of:

Rolls MX28 MINI-MIX VI Three-Channel True Stereo Line Mixer

But that, together with three additional cables, will run me close to $100 with tax and shipping from Amazon.

Does anyone have a suggestion for a better and/or cheaper solution? Thank you.

jacqpot

Commendable
Mar 24, 2016

Thank you for the input. Much appreciated.

Looking at some of the audio input selectors on Amazon, it looks like most of them require manual switching, but at least this one automatically selects the input source that's providing a signal:

http://www.amazon.com/Automatic-Two-Way-Source-Selector-Activated/dp/B00L9YVL90/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1458924222&sr=8-6&keywords=stereo+audio+source+selector

Does this sound right to you? I'm trying to make this as automatic as possible given how Echo/Dot is intended to work. Thank you again for your advice.