[SOLVED] Hard drive Knocking

toughsfmatterbeam

Prominent
Oct 27, 2017
Hello.
I have had this problem for months. The hard drive makes loud knocking sounds. It is irregular, happens often under load but also frequently when the computer is completely idle. It is a 1TB Hitachi HGST HTS544040A9E680.

I believe it to be the head parking with excessive force. I have tried using the AAM/APM control feature from CrystalDisk or QuietHDD to no effect. Scans reveal no errors.

I fear that the hard drive will randomly fail and until then, it is very annoying, not only to myself but also to others in the library.

Here is a recorded sound clip: https://clyp.it/eea355lx[/url

Solved: see last post.

Solution
The solution has been found.
The sounds were created by Intel Rapid Storage Technology's Link Power Management setting.

Changing it from 'Enabled' to 'Disabled' and restarting the laptop has removed all noise issues with the HDD. I have tested it for two days so far with varying levels of activity, and the knocking sounds have not sounded once.

Lutfij

Splendid
Yeah the sound you're experiencing is akin to a drive about to fail. It'd be a good idea to back up your critical data onto a removable storage device(like a portable HDD). Should the HDD fail eventually, you've backed up the data prior. Remember they offer warranty on the drive, not the data.

toughsfmatterbeam

Prominent
Oct 27, 2017

Thanks for the input.
I am uploading personal files onto an online storage platform for now.
I only have the one laptop, so I'd have to buy an external storage and a new HDD, move the current data onto the external drive, wait for this HDD to fail, then install the new HDD and transfer back to files.....
What I am worried about is the Windows key. I've heard it is only valid for a single install on one computer which is linked to the specific HDD. I am unsure if I can just 'copy over' my current windows install and its programs, and even if I switch out the HDD, I am unsure whether I can install a new windows with my old disk.

Any suggestions?

toughsfmatterbeam

Prominent
Oct 27, 2017

About one year. I usually de-fragment it after installing a new program.

schwatzz

Estimable
Jun 23, 2014

How often do you move your laptop around when it is powered on? Has it ever been dropped? 1 year is of course far too early for an HDD to go.

toughsfmatterbeam

Prominent
Oct 27, 2017

Its always on a desktop while on.

toughsfmatterbeam

Prominent
Oct 27, 2017
The solution has been found.
The sounds were created by Intel Rapid Storage Technology's Link Power Management setting.

Changing it from 'Enabled' to 'Disabled' and restarting the laptop has removed all noise issues with the HDD. I have tested it for two days so far with varying levels of activity, and the knocking sounds have not sounded once.

Solution