Someone tried to hack my email

emmko1

Honorable
Feb 23, 2013
Didn't know where to post this but just wondering has anyone else had this happen, the hacker was located in china.

Solution
I don't think Google would send these, particularly if they contain links for changing your password. I'd suspect phishing attempts. Open a browser yourself and go to your Google account if you want to change your password. NEVER click on links in an email for that purpose, no matter how official it looks.

Onus

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2006
The best thing you can do is change your password to something long and complex, like a phrase, that also contains mixed case, numbers and/or special characters; "MyBestCatWasMi55y" would be an example.

emmko1

Honorable
Feb 23, 2013

Google sent me a message thru my email, suspicious activity in my account attempted access from China it also gave me website and ip adress

unoriginal1

Honorable
Apr 11, 2012

It's highly unlikely that Google would provide ANY details. They would more likely send a general message along the lines of "Your email address may have been compromised and it is recommended to change your password and security questions etc." There would be ZERO reason for them to send you an IP address and/or location. I would say the email you opened... Isn't from google and has now compromised your email.

Also DO NOT go to the website. That is most likely the attempt to install malicious software on your pc!
My opinion....

Onus

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2006
I don't think Google would send these, particularly if they contain links for changing your password. I'd suspect phishing attempts. Open a browser yourself and go to your Google account if you want to change your password. NEVER click on links in an email for that purpose, no matter how official it looks.

Solution