Sonic the Hedgehog Returning to 2D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spanky Deluxe

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2009
OMG this could be awesome. I've been dying for a new 2D Sonic game for years now. Sonic 3 & Knuckles combined has to be one of the greatest games of all time.

I never understood SEGA's need to make stupid hard to control 3D 'games' with this franchise when it is clearly a 2D platformer based franchise.

G

Finally! Hopefully this won't be as much drivel as the efforts of the recent (post Dreamcast) Sonic games.

skine

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2009
There have only been two decent Sonic games released since the death of the Genesis/Megadrive; one released ten years ago today and the other being its sequel.

Distinct

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2009
Such a good day to announce this SEGA, thanks for going back to your roots! Can't wait to play the next Sonic, especially since it's been since Sonic Adventure 2!

kingssman

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2006
Played a bunch of 3d sonic games while some were mario, some were seizure inducing Fzero, most never kept the simplicity and allure of the 2d games. (played those all the way up to sega CD)

If anybody played Metal Slug or Braid will instantly know that 2d games are still a great hit on modern consoles.......... (just don't know why i need a PS3 or Xbox360 to run one lol)

mlopinto2k1

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006
Man o Man, when will they realize that THREE DIMENSIONS is NOT the only thing games should be made of! I could only PRAY that game companies took older games and revamped them to be the super, elite, insanely realistic versions they out to be. If anyone doubts my fantasy, just go look up "Another World". It was remade to have high resolution graphics and was just a BLAST to play again at 1920x1200 and still look good. It looks as good as it did back then, but they have an old school mode so you can see just how bad it really looked! I know, it was on lower resolution monitors and TV screens but still.

tiga2001

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2008
I honestly really liked Sonic Adventure and Sonic Adventure 2, which were probably the only 2 great Sonic 3D titles, but as long as the game is good, it doesn't matter to me whether it's 2D or 3D

carlhenry

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2009
wow.. the 3d versions are sorta hard to control (well at least for me) which kinda ruined the gameplay. the 2d's are simple yet fun. cant wait! i hope it comes to the pc!

jimmysmitty

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2007
[citation][nom]spanky deluxe[/nom]OMG this could be awesome. I've been dying for a new 2D Sonic game for years now. Sonic 3 & Knuckles combined has to be one of the greatest games of all time.I never understood SEGA's need to make stupid hard to control 3D 'games' with this franchise when it is clearly a 2D platformer based franchise.[/citation]

While I agree, Sonic Adventure on the Dreamcast was pretty good. Unfortunately Sony killed Segas console divison those cold hearted bastards.

trinix

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2007
Never understood why games like mario and sonic went 3d to begin with. They were perfect in 2d. Some games I understand why they moved from the 2d topview to a more realistic 3d view. Some make sense, but still innovation and new aren't always better. Sometimes sticking to the roots is better.

Good job Sega, I can't wait to try this out.

zak_mckraken

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2004
Back then, everyone was hoping on the 3D bandwagon. But, some titles are simply not meant for that. Thank God, developpers are starting to realize that a good game comes from story and gameplay first and graphics second!

Status
Not open for further replies.