Sony 5.1 Stereo speakers to computer

Solution
Apologies: I was thinking about the red, green, blue connections/connectors in the back - just to verify if they are component connections.

The output can come from the audio jack in the front or from a sound card port in the back. (What sound card, if any, do you have?

Most likely those ports will only provide simple stereo.

That said (and in agreement with americanaudiophile) you will need an amplifier.

The connection would be something like:

PC audio out (3.5 mm stereo plug) ------ (connectors TBD)--> amplifier (connectors TBD ----------> (spring clip) ------> speakers.

Audio into the amplifier and speaker outs will be determined by the amplifier's connections.

Looks like a 4.2 mm connector.

Google "Sony 4.2 mm connector" to confirm.

What port(s) do you have available on your computer? Probably standard 3.5 mm stereo plug I would expect.

Some adapter will be necessary or perhaps a couple adapters in series. Or some soldering work......

Philbobaggins11347

Commendable
May 31, 2016

On my computer I have 3 3.5 mm jacks in the back on the i/o. They are red, green, and blue. The cables on the speaker are 4.2 mm plugs with the ends stripped off. These ends run to the speakers where they are held in place by a spring clamp. I was wondering if it would be possible to get a bunch of 3.5 mm jack plugs, strip the ends off, and just use them like that as a set of new cables? If not would I need to get an adapter?

Red, green, and blue are most likely some sort of video component connections. Will not work if that is correct.

Can you post another photograph?

Here is a link showing and explaining various types of connections:

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-9YIw294pLr3/learn/learningcenter/home/connections_glossary.html

That said, yes if you can identify the correct audio output port(s) on the computer you might be able to obtain the correct cable for the computer port and cut of the other end for spring clips.

Your existing cables appeart to be stranded. Are the clipped in ends soldered?

Philbobaggins11347

Commendable
May 31, 2016

What do you want me to post a picture of? I for sure have an audio jack on the front of the computer. I've done some more reading as I am not really an audio expert and I found that the speakers I have are not powered. I assume this means I will need an amp if I am wanting to get decent sound. The existing cables are not soldered.

Apologies: I was thinking about the red, green, blue connections/connectors in the back - just to verify if they are component connections.

The output can come from the audio jack in the front or from a sound card port in the back. (What sound card, if any, do you have?

Most likely those ports will only provide simple stereo.

That said (and in agreement with americanaudiophile) you will need an amplifier.

The connection would be something like:

PC audio out (3.5 mm stereo plug) ------ (connectors TBD)--> amplifier (connectors TBD ----------> (spring clip) ------> speakers.

Audio into the amplifier and speaker outs will be determined by the amplifier's connections.

Solution

Philbobaggins11347

Commendable
May 31, 2016

Good! Glad we got all that cleared up. Basically what I've gathered is that I am definitely going to need to get an amp. (Presuming I decide to go through with the hassle of going down this road instead of getting a separate computer sound system) It sounds like I am also going to need adapters/new cables because based of what I have determined is that the connection type on these speakers is fairly unique, probably something you wouldn't normally find. Do you have any recommendations for these things? If you need any other information or have more to share that would be great!

Sort of depends on how much DIY you are willing to do.

If you have lots of audio odds and ends about (or access to such things via family and friends) then you may be able to create some workable combination of connections, amplifier, and speakers.

We have a local Goodwill store that always has all sorts of speaker(s) and speaker systems available. Plus lots of DVD, CD players with speaker sets. Generally very inexpensive and not much to lose if things go bad or blow.

Find out what wattage the speakers are so you do not overdo the power.

Read tutorials such as this one:

http://www.diyaudioandvideo.com/Guide/SpeakerAmplifierWiring/

There are others such readings online.

Go back through this forum and read other audio postings. Folks such as americanaudiophile have posted all sorts of good information and guidance.

Work out whatever seems appropriate and viable for you. Then give it a try.

Philbobaggins11347

Commendable
May 31, 2016

I do believe that the wattage is something like 1000 watts. However I don't think I would need to power all of those as I'll only be using the computer in my bedroom, and my mom wouldn't want things to be too loud. (I'm 14 so I do live with my parents). I probably won't use the rear speakers as well because I am not quite sure where I would put them. With that taken into consideration, assuming I was willing to go through with this I would need an amp (Of how much power). I would also need adapters or new cables all together. Since the ends of one side of the cables would have to be bare, they would need to be something other than copper that wouldn't corrode I would think.

Philbobaggins11347

Commendable
May 31, 2016

Sounds like a lot to do and I appreciate all of your guys' help, but I think I am going to pick up a set of speakers intended to be used with a pc instead of trying to figure this out. In the first place I was going to spend spend not much more than $120, and to get an amp and other stuff figured out would just take more resources than someone like me can find. So thanks for your help guys!