Sony a 6300 or blackmagic 2.5k for feature film

madhawa

Honorable
Jul 1, 2013
hi i'm planning to do a budget feature film and i wish to screen that in theaters as well. I'm so much glad that anyone can help me to select a camera for shoot this film. at the moment i have two cameras in my mind Sony a 6300 or blackmagic 2.5k . which one is the best? please advice

Solution
It depends on what you want. I've shot two short films, one with a Blackmagic 4K, and one with a Sony A7s. I also use a Sony FS5 and FS7 for my day job. Working with both cameras was great for each film. It depends on your needs:

If you need low-light capabilities, go with the Sony. Blackmagic has terrible low-light.

If you need slo-mo, go with Sony.

If you want to save money on media, go with Sony. You can record with SD cards, whereas on the Blackmagic you've got to buy SSDs. Around $130 for one right now, versus the memory cards on the sony will only run you back around $40.

If you want a better color grading experience, go with the Blackmagic. My experience with sony color-grading has been much more painful. You can do it, but...

nvincent_08

Commendable
Jun 21, 2016
those were camera at 2 different levels tho. i would personally get sony a6300, because sony seemed to be more open to lens option and plenty of available accessories. by the way why dont you just get then newer a6500 or a7 series camera?

madhawa

Honorable
Jul 1, 2013

what about the cinema DNG RAW

madhawa

Honorable
Jul 1, 2013

I have experience withe cannon and red cameras
i prefer raw video but sony gives 4k than 2.5k BM camera and i'm not afford to buy 4k BM camera

Apr 5, 2018
It depends on what you want. I've shot two short films, one with a Blackmagic 4K, and one with a Sony A7s. I also use a Sony FS5 and FS7 for my day job. Working with both cameras was great for each film. It depends on your needs:

If you need low-light capabilities, go with the Sony. Blackmagic has terrible low-light.

If you need slo-mo, go with Sony.

If you want to save money on media, go with Sony. You can record with SD cards, whereas on the Blackmagic you've got to buy SSDs. Around $130 for one right now, versus the memory cards on the sony will only run you back around $40.

If you want a better color grading experience, go with the Blackmagic. My experience with sony color-grading has been much more painful. You can do it, but it will be much harder, just because of the weird skin tones that come from these cameras. Sony comes with 8-bit color, Blackmagic comes with 10-bit or 12-bit depending on ProRes or RAW, respectively.

If you want to have more easily editable files right out of camera, go with Blackmagic. It shoots in ProRes straight inside the box, which is very easy on NLEs. You can do RAW as well, but the added file size and extra transcoding may not be worth the extra dynamic range. It wasn't for me.

As far as resolution is concerned, the 2.5k you get from the Blackmagic will look better than the 4k you get from the Sony a6300. That is an opinion, but I just really love the image from the BM. Also, the bitrate you get from the Blackmagic will be higher, even in the lower resolution. And as far as the 4k Blackmagic is concerned, you get better dynamic range from the 2.5k model anyway.

I hope these tips help! My personal choice is the Blackmagic. You get less features, but the images you get out of the box really sell it for me.

Solution

madhawa

Honorable
Jul 1, 2013

thanks its really helpful