Sony BMG Greece Hacked, User Info Revealed

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

spectrewind

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2009
[citation][nom]dcompart[/nom]No, you need not continue. Your examples don't carry any weight. The population of people who bought a PS3 for Linux (1st model PS3 only) are very small and did not care to see it leave. As far as aggressive DRM goes, why wouldn't they. It's not a PC and was never designed to run pirated games (granted, someone like you would only use the lack of DRM for personal copies of games that you legal bought)We can play the "I bought an item and I can use it however I want" game all day, but at the end of the day you?/we bought a PS3, knowingly that there would be restrictions. I'm fine with people hacking consoles, but when it is used for nefarious purposes that affect other gamers and the publishers I have no sympathy.Sony, aside from the recent publicity relating to Geohotz and the attacks on PSN, I cannot see how Sony has alienated its fan base. Unlike Xbox Live, PSN is free, sure it could be better, but its FREE! The PSN on the PS3 is leaps and bounds ahead of the PS2 (yeah, I know its obvious), but Sony has only improved its system. I don't think Sony has alienated people, I just think it has failed to attract people in the first place. And with the current publicity it's going to be even harder. Having a Xbox 360, then a PS3 overall seemed to make console gaming more enjoyable.[/citation]

Bull!!

"restrictions" does not equal "subtractions". Although someone who writes like you do likely cannot be convinced that customers were affected negatively. ... and you are now mocking them.
Ratios of who used and who didn't are meaningless. It was either there or it wasn't. It was either paid for or it wasn't.

Thankfully there is an Internet between you and everyone else here. Ask yourself.... Be in a crowded room with other people who bought a PS3 that came with a feature that was since removed.

Would you have said this?

You buy a car with air-conditioning, and the mfg decides to come to your house and remove it from the vehicle, telling you it is unsafe/unsecure. You are able to drive without it, therefore it is technically unnecessary. The mfg shrugs and tells you to roll the windows down instead. How would you respond?

wawa sxm

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2010
[citation][nom]dcompart[/nom]No, you need not continue. Your examples don't carry any weight. The population of people who bought a PS3 for Linux (1st model PS3 only) are very small. As far as aggressive DRM goes, why wouldn't they. It's not a PC and was never designed to run pirated games (granted, someone like you would only use the lack of DRM for personal copies of games that you legal bought)We can play the "I bought an item and I can use it however I want" game all day, but at the end of the day you?/we bought a PS3, knowingly that there would be restrictions. I'm fine with people hacking consoles, but when it is used for nefarious purposes that affect other gamers and the publishers I have no sympathy.Sony, aside from the recent publicity relating to Geohotz and the attacks on PSN, I cannot see how Sony has alienated its fan base. Unlike Xbox Live, PSN is free, sure it could be better, but its FREE! The PSN on the PS3 is leaps and bounds ahead of the PS2 (yeah, I know its obvious), but Sony has only improved it's system. I don't Sony has alienated people, I just think it has failed to attract people in the first place. And with the current publicity it's going to be even harder. Having a Xbox 360, then a PS3 overall seemed to make console gaming more enjoyable.[/citation]

your counter carries even less weight cuz your assuming these hacks are done by the majority...it only takes one guy to be pissed at sony...who cares if its free when its not as fun as xbox? i don't see how what one persons does with his console (linux) affects others?
sony has a history of drm issues, trying to impose thier norm on everyone without allowing any standardisations....basically thier like apple....just another that wants you to pay a premium and stay in the guidlines

captaincharisma

Distinguished
[citation][nom]spectrewind[/nom]Bull!!"restrictions" does not equal "subtractions". Although someone who writes like you do likely cannot be convinced that customers were affected negatively. ... and you are now mocking them.Ratios of who used and who didn't are meaningless. It was either there or it wasn't. It was either paid for or it wasn't.Thankfully there is an Internet between you and everyone else here. Ask yourself.... Be in a crowded room with other people who bought a PS3 that came with a feature that was since removed.Would you have said this?You buy a car with air-conditioning, and the mfg decides to come to your house and remove it from the vehicle, telling you it is unsafe/unsecure. You are able to drive without it, therefore it is technically unnecessary. The mfg shrugs and tells you to roll the windows down instead. How would you respond?[/citation]

in that case sell the freakin car and move on! there are millions of other people who still buy Sony anyway. dcompart is right and you are nothing but another loser mad at sony because they stopped allowing pirated games on ther consoles. the car anology doesn't fit. if you wanted to keep linux you could have just not upgraded to the latest firmware or use one of the custom firmware to keep linux. but its not a valid argument really because a car maker does not have to add or remove anything to protect its company but sony does because with all the jailbreaking, pirating and vulnerabilities which Linux support proved to be they have to do everything they can to protect there network and revenue. people like you are too narrow minded to look at both sides.also i like to buy both i don't like wasting money on a console that has or had a ultra hogh failure rate which the xbox still had when i bought my PS3. its not enjoyable to have 2 console when you know one isn't going to last

f-gomes

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2008
[citation][nom]fghjfg10[/nom]Hi,Dear Ladies and Gentlemen,maybe you can find answers here:====== http://shopping01.org/ ======50%off ca,ed hardy t-shirt$15 jeans,coach $15our websit:====== http://shopping01.org/ ============ http://shopping01.org/ ============ http://shopping01.org/ ======[/citation]

For phuck sake, Tom's!! This is inexcusable - get a freaking image validation thingy on the comments section ASAP, this spam flooder shite is lasting too long to be reasonable. You really can't comment on Sony's vulnerability, can you?

G

and this has absolutely nothing to do with the swathes of Sony employees who were laid off in recent months, some of whom probably have a good idea of the IT infrastructure and security underspending, they were just using the hacker stuff to run interference and create background noise for their revenge plan

from past experience any large lay off plan was always precluded with a update in IT processes and infrastructure, it makes sense to change the locks on your house after evicting someone, Sony should have done the same

kinggraves

Distinguished
May 14, 2010
[citation][nom]lankystreak[/nom]by arresting the hacker? good on themall they are doing is protecting their brand by pursuing the thieves. they ought to brick all the consoles that have been jailbroken too[/citation]

Just so you know, the "hacker" wasn't arrested, didn't steal or pirate anything, and ended up being paid off to not touch Sony products again because Sony had no case against him. Just so you get your facts straight.

I'm playing the world's smallest violin for you Sony, really. Didn't you catch on with the last several hacks that you need to watch ALL your networks? If someone breaks into your car and steals your valuables, don't you stop leaving your valuables in that car when parked in that spot? Sony keeps putting valuables in their car and leaving it unattended in the same lot.

Oh, and BMG? Yeah good riddance to another RIAA puppet.

G

"The hackers responsible are thought to used an automated SQL injection tool to find a flaw."

So why didn't Sony do this themselves to find flaws? Lazy and cheap, now they suffer like any other company that is lazy and cheap. Idiots.

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
Its sad that many websites are still open to SQL injection attacks. It is one of the easier attacks to protect against (and to commit) and has been known as a major issue for ~10 years now.

G

Somebody must have a real hard-on for Sony. In a recent article it has already been said the PSN/SOE breach will cost them around 170 million (http://news.yahoo.com/s/zd/20110523/tc_zd/264796). This is a devastating blow to them. The sad part is this doesn't hurt just Sony, it hurts millions of innocent people.

G

Not to say Sony didn't bring this on themselves...the hacker has now uploaded user info..time to take that hacker down with the maximum penalties.

G

[citation][nom]Guybrush63[/nom]Not to say Sony didn't bring this on themselves...the hacker has now uploaded user info..time to take that hacker down with the maximum penalties.[/citation]

Provided you can catch him/her.

G

I have a original 60 gb ps3, I bought it 100% for playing games. Not Linux(even though I DID end up having YDL 6 on it), I still do give one ounce of fuck that Sony removed it.

ZOMFGROTFLBBQ!!!!! NOOOOOES! Sony has removed my only way to rip blu-ray movies so I can seed them on bit torrent! BURN SONY!!! Sony removed OtherOs and now my PS3 IS USELESS!!!!! HOW AM I SUPPOSED TO PLAY GAMES NOW?!?!?!

Linux on PS3 WAS FUCKING USELESS PEOPLE, the ability to use a gimped Linux that had no gpu access and only had about 192MB of effective RAM access was pointless.

For all of you saying Sony removing OtherOs is like taking out the A/C in ur car....you're fucking stupid. You implying that OtherOs was a "feature" that damn near everyone used and millions furious that its gone now. In reality maybe 500 people total used it. Its like removing the light under the hood that lights up when you pop the hood, 99.999% of people don't care

virtualban

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2007
[citation][nom]dcompart[/nom]No, you need not continue. Your examples don't carry any weight. The population of people who bought a PS3 for Linux (1st model PS3 only) are very small and did not care to see it leave. As far as aggressive DRM goes, why wouldn't they. It's not a PC and was never designed to run pirated games (granted, someone like you would only use the lack of DRM for personal copies of games that you legal bought)We can play the "I bought an item and I can use it however I want" game all day, but at the end of the day you?/we bought a PS3, knowingly that there would be restrictions. I'm fine with people hacking consoles, but when it is used for nefarious purposes that affect other gamers and the publishers I have no sympathy.Sony, aside from the recent publicity relating to Geohotz and the attacks on PSN, I cannot see how Sony has alienated its fan base. Unlike Xbox Live, PSN is free, sure it could be better, but its FREE! The PSN on the PS3 is leaps and bounds ahead of the PS2 (yeah, I know its obvious), but Sony has only improved its system. I don't think Sony has alienated people, I just think it has failed to attract people in the first place. And with the current publicity it's going to be even harder. Having a Xbox 360, then a PS3 overall seemed to make console gaming more enjoyable.[/citation]
I am only replying to the DRM statement.
If a pirated game can go as easy as extract the big .7z or .rar archive and doubleclick on the executable; and a legit game goes through all sorts of hops to just play; then the legit customer is being alienated, really. There are people who buy the game and still use the pirated version for convenience, but these are rare. Unless the legit customer gets more from the item purchased than the pirate, can't rely on people being good at heart. It is a global market, not just US, let alone the "stop John Doe lawsuits" of one of the previous articles.

TeraMedia

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2006
@dcompart, what is your response to what Sony did with their rootkit on music CDs? I don't own a PS3, so I can't claim personal loss from anything that happened with it from acts by either Sony or hackers. But I do know people who had the Sony rootkit. I personally had to uninstall the rootkit from several computers. I consider these people lucky that the software sometimes caused such side effects as inability to write to optical media, reduced drive performance, and other problems that were easy to detect - because they were able to detect that there was a problem and take remedial action. Sony condoned the distribution of this rootkit on their products even though it created dangerous security holes on their customers' computers, reduced those computers' features and capabilities, and generally did far more harm than good - while still not effectively preventing the real pirates from copying the music.

How is this OK? How can you possibly turn a blind eye to this kind of behavior?

G

[citation][nom]Teramedia[/nom]@dcompart, what is your response to what Sony did with their rootkit on music CDs? I don't own a PS3, so I can't claim personal loss from anything that happened with it from acts by either Sony or hackers. But I do know people who had the Sony rootkit. I personally had to uninstall the rootkit from several computers. I consider these people lucky that the software sometimes caused such side effects as inability to write to optical media, reduced drive performance, and other problems that were easy to detect - because they were able to detect that there was a problem and take remedial action. Sony condoned the distribution of this rootkit on their products even though it created dangerous security holes on their customers' computers, reduced those computers' features and capabilities, and generally did far more harm than good - while still not effectively preventing the real pirates from copying the music.How is this OK? How can you possibly turn a blind eye to this kind of behavior?[/citation]

My comment was not focused towards the use of Sony's products on the PC, but rather the PS3. I'll admit that my understanding of a rootkit at the time of my original post, was mistaken for the PS3 exploit/root/jailbreak/ whatever it's called. With that said, I agree with you that Sony acted in a poorly regarding rootkits that created vulnerabilities on PCs.

Vladislaus

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
[citation][nom]kixofmyg0t[/nom]I have a original 60 gb ps3, I bought it 100% for playing games. Not Linux(even though I DID end up having YDL 6 on it), I still do give one ounce of fuck that Sony removed it.ZOMFGROTFLBBQ!!!!! NOOOOOES! Sony has removed my only way to rip blu-ray movies so I can seed them on bit torrent! BURN SONY!!! Sony removed OtherOs and now my PS3 IS USELESS!!!!! HOW AM I SUPPOSED TO PLAY GAMES NOW?!?!?!Linux on PS3 WAS FUCKING USELESS PEOPLE, the ability to use a gimped Linux that had no gpu access and only had about 192MB of effective RAM access was pointless. For all of you saying Sony removing OtherOs is like taking out the A/C in ur car....you're fucking stupid. You implying that OtherOs was a "feature" that damn near everyone used and millions furious that its gone now. In reality maybe 500 people total used it. Its like removing the light under the hood that lights up when you pop the hood, 99.999% of people don't care[/citation]
The ratio of people affected is unimportant. The console was marketed as being much more than a gaming console since it had the ability to run Linux. And a few people, even though a small margin, were ripped off by Sony. I used Linux on my PS3 because it made it a much better media player than using the PS3 OS. If I wanted to browse the web it's also a lot better using the browser in Linux than using the PS3 browser.

Status
Not open for further replies.