Sony Boasts 50 Million PS3 Shipped, 8M Move

Status
Not open for further replies.

thillntn

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2010
In other news, Kinect sells over 10 million in march. With people scared of lawsuits and tired of $ony's bad customer relations, expect PC gaming and other console sales to climb. I guess it really depends on which news article people want to trust in. It will be interesting to see how many live accounts total the windows 7 phone adds to in the next 3 years. Not trolling just adding a observation :).

tulx

Distinguished
May 17, 2009
[citation][nom]thillntn[/nom]In other news, Kinect sells over 10 million in march. With people scared of lawsuits and tired of $ony's bad customer relations, expect PC gaming and other console sales to climb. I guess it really depends on which news article people want to trust in. It will be interesting to see how many live accounts total the windows 7 phone adds to in the next 3 years. Not trolling just adding a observation .[/citation]

Touché.

FloKid

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2006
so like wha 0.1% of all people have a ps3? if Sony hired a few more million people maybe it would rise to 1%. But then the CEO will complain and we won't see as much marketing...

Ragnar-Kon

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010
Yeah Sony didn't do to hot with PS3. Well... at least not as well as they did with the PS2. The Move is a giant disappointment for me and feels like a Wii 2.0, Kinect just blows it away.

Have a feeling the PS3 would be WAY behind if it wasn't for the fact that it has a Blu-ray player, and was (sadly) cheaper than any other Blu-ray player on the market when it was first released.

jalek

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2007
The PS/3 shipped with a PS/2 compatibility chip and the ability to load Linux, so it didn't need to be hacked as the XBox was to add that capability.

The chip was replaced by software, then that functionality was just dropped. The Linux capability? Yeah.

kartu

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
[citation][nom]thillntn[/nom]In other news, Kinect sells over 10 million in march. With people scared of lawsuits and tired of $ony's bad customer relations, expect PC gaming and other console sales to climb. I guess it really depends on which news article people want to trust in. It will be interesting to see how many live accounts total the windows 7 phone adds to in the next 3 years. Not trolling just adding a observation .[/citation]

As far as media goes, thrashing "move" and praising kinect was one notable thing. Kinect kinect sucks at the moment as far as usual gaming goes, "driving a car" with a bare hands? Give me a break.

Just think about for how many PS3 has become attractive, after it was hacked and it won't be so hard to belive in these numbers.

PS3 has much better build quality than xbox and it comes with free network play.

deathengine

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2010
MEh, only a handful of devs know how to make decent games for this thing. And even veteran devs dont get the full potential out of it. Look how long Gran Tourismo took, and it has horrible aliasing and screen tearing, and doesn't even run 1080p natively.
It plays a mean Blue Ray though.

belardo

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008
Playstation 3 = FAIL

Thats what many 360 fanboys said. Funny thou, market research did predict it would take about 5 years for the PS3 to surpass the 360. Given that the PS3 did ship 12 months after the 360. A year ago, the PS3 was about 5million units behind... thats a pretty strong surge there.

Hmmm. still wonder if about 1/4~1/5 of 360 units are actually nothing more than replacement units for all the dead RROD units.

BTW: Both the move an Kinectics have their good and bad points.

leadpoop

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2010
I have both PS3 and Xbox 360. For the longest time I would only buy games for the PS3. Then Sony decided to go sue crazy so I have stopped supporting them. When they toke away advertised features, features that really made me purchase the PS3 in the first place. And then Suing everybody that was it. No more money to you Sony. Not in my house.

captaincharisma

Distinguished
[citation][nom]mobrocket[/nom]PS3 sold a lot of units early on thanks to Blu Ray. Now that physical medium for movies is a dying standard. I wonder how the PS3 will fare. Cus its game library pales in comparison to Xbox...[/citation]

pales in comparison? really?

someone has been drinking the MS coolaid. you must be going out right now to replace your RROD'ed 360 for the 10th time

badaxe2

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2008
I get the impression people complaining about Sony suing someone for breaking their EULA didn't bother to read the thing themselves either.

SYSTEM SOFTWARE LICENSE AGREEMENT (Version 1.4) FOR THE PlayStation®3 SYSTEM

December 10, 2009

2. RESTRICTIONS

You may not lease, rent, sublicense, publish, modify, adapt, or translate any portion of the System Software. To the fullest extent permitted by law, you may not reverse engineer, decompile, or disassemble any portion of the System Software, or create any derivative works, or otherwise attempt to create System Software source code from its object code. You may not (i) use any unauthorized, illegal, counterfeit, or modified hardware or software in connection with the System Software, including use of tools to bypass, disable, or circumvent any encryption, security, or authentication mechanism for the PS3™ system; (ii) violate any laws, regulations or statutes, or rights of SCE, its affiliated companies, or third parties in connection with your access to or use of the System Software, including the access, use, or distribution of any software or hardware that you know or should have known to be infringing or pirated; (iii) use any hardware or software to cause the System Software to accept or use unauthorized, illegal, or pirated software or hardware; (iv) obtain the System Software in any manner other than through SCE's authorized distribution methods; or (v) exploit the System Software in any manner other than to use it in your PS3™ system in accordance with the accompanying documentation and with authorized software or hardware, including use of the System Software to design, develop, update, or distribute unauthorized software or hardware for use in connection with the PS3™ system for any reason. Without limiting the scope of SCE's remedies, any violation of these restrictions will void the PS3™ system's warranty and affect your ability to obtain warranty services and repair services from SCE or its affiliated companies.

7. TERMINATION

If SCE determines that you have violated the terms of this Agreement, SCE may take all actions to protect its interests, including denial of any services such as warranty services and repair services provided for your PS3™ system and termination of your access to PlayStation®Network, implementation of upgrades or devices intended to discontinue unauthorized use, or reliance on any other remedial efforts as reasonably necessary to prevent the use of a modified PS3™ system, or any pirated material or equipment. SCE and its licensors reserve the right to bring legal action in the event of a violation of this Agreement. SCE reserves the right to participate in any government or private legal action or investigation relating to your conduct.

9. GENERAL LEGAL

By using or accessing the System Software, you agree to be bound by all current terms of this Agreement. To access a printable, current copy of this Agreement, go to http://www.scei.co.jp/ps3-eula/ on your personal computer. SCE, at its sole discretion, may modify the terms of this Agreement at any time, including any terms in the PS3™ system documentation or manual, or at http://www.scei.co.jp/ps3-license/index.html. Please check back on this website from time to time for changes to this Agreement. Your continued access to or use of the System Software will signify your acceptance of any changes to this Agreement. In the event of any conflict between this Agreement and the Terms of Service and User Agreement for SCE's online network, the terms of this Agreement shall control the use of or access to, the System Software.

Taken from http://www.scei.co.jp/ps3-eula/ps3_eula_en.html

kaiten5

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2010
[citation][nom]silky salamandr[/nom]Children arguing about what 5 year old system is better.[/citation]
no they argued about which system has a better library of games.

therabiddeer

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2008
[citation][nom]mobrocket[/nom]PS3 sold a lot of units early on thanks to Blu Ray. Now that physical medium for movies is a dying standard. I wonder how the PS3 will fare. Cus its game library pales in comparison to Xbox...[/citation]
Thats funny, because the sales have increased a lot.

Pro tip: Xbox360 sales slowing down and PS3 passing in sales means that the PS3 is selling better now. Also, blu ray prices are coming down which will actually promote more PS3 purchases, since originally blu ray movies cost like $30-$40... and nobody wanted to pay that much for a single movie.

I imagine now until the Wii version 2 or other nex gen game will be a shining time for the PS3, mostly due to a lot of factors (established library now, more HD TV's to take advantage of the HD graphics, better blu ray prices, features like the PSN that have come out etc). Most people, believe it or not, dont give a crap about linux or what Sony is doing with lawsuits against people that broke their contracts.

PS: I own an xbox 360 that has not had a RROD and i dont own a PS3.

charlesdjones1

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2010
Cause we all know at the end of the day we buy our games systems based off of build quality? Nintendo is about to drop Little Boy 2 on the world with the next home console announcement coming up, then it'll be time for Sony and Msoft to take 3 years to copy that too. So much for innovation Sony.

jonnyboy161

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2010
mobrocket :

PS3 sold a lot of units early on thanks to Blu Ray. Now that physical medium for movies is a dying standard. I wonder how the PS3 will fare. Cus its game library pales in comparison to Xbox...

pales in comparison? really?

someone has been drinking the MS coolaid. you must be going out right now to replace your RROD'ed 360 for the 10th time

All I know is that when I go to Gamestop there is ALWAYS a way better selection of 360 games. I have a 360 and a PS3 and for some reason I always find myself playing my 360 and leaving my PS3 to set and collect dust.

rpgplayer

Distinguished
May 27, 2010
bleh @ consoles, I game on my PC, with my 40' TV. and my PC does more than just play games and movies. if I want to write a program for my PC, I won't get sued. and just about any game you buy for the PC you can MOD which adds a substantial amount of replay value.

Status
Not open for further replies.