Sony Bravia Smart Stick is a Google TV Dongle

Status
Not open for further replies.

vpoko

Honorable
Feb 24, 2012
So there's actually something inside this device to detect the type of TV and prevent it from working if it's not a Sony? I can't think of any essential feature a TV should have (other than an HDMI port) that, in its absence, would render this thing useless. If that's really what Sony's doing, dumb move.

kinggraves

Distinguished
May 14, 2010
Sony's always been the type to try and force things along rather than go with common market standards. Either way, there are still numerous Android MiniPCs that have functionality better than Chromecast for a slightly higher price, like $50. Like all Sony products it's overpriced for what it does.

Murissokah

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2007
"So there's actually something inside this device to detect the type of TV and prevent it from working if it's not a Sony? I can't think of any essential feature a TV should have (other than an HDMI port) that, in its absence, would render this thing useless. If that's really what Sony's doing, dumb move"

Thought the same, but then I realised it is an MHL connection. It uses the same physical connector as HDMI, but has added features, such as providing the power needed by the dongle. It is meant to be used with smartphone too.

There are MHL adapters that may get this dongle to work, though it seems like too much trouble for something that is already more expensive than it should.

Murissokah

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2007
"So there's actually something inside this device to detect the type of TV and prevent it from working if it's not a Sony? I can't think of any essential feature a TV should have (other than an HDMI port) that, in its absence, would render this thing useless. If that's really what Sony's doing, dumb move"

Thought the same, but then I realised it is an MHL connection. It uses the same physical connector as HDMI, but has added features, such as providing the power needed by the dongle. It is meant to be used with smartphone too.

There are MHL adapters that may get this dongle to work, though it seems like too much trouble for something that is already more expensive than it should.

Murissokah

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2007
Thought the same about the dongle working with other TVs, but then I realised it is an MHL connection. It uses the same physical connector as HDMI, but has added features, such as providing the power needed by the dongle. It is meant to be used with smartphone too.

shin0bi272

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2007
Im not familiar with the location of the HDMI ports on the specific TVs but can we please address the size of this thing? If you have your tv mounted on the wall or in any sort of location where size is a factor how does sony expect you to use this monster? You either have it poking into the wall or out the side of the tv right? What if I cant fit that in my space? or dont want my tv to grow a retarded stubby wing?

Status
Not open for further replies.