Sony Buys Cloud-gaming Service Gaikai for $380 Million

Status
Not open for further replies.

louiecog

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2009
I expected this, though I'm surprised they announced it almost a month later. My guess is that they were in talks but the numbers each side wanted were off too much at the time. That is also why Gaikai put the feelers out that they were shopping themselves, so they could possibly drum up competition and see if Sony would increase their price. Whether it worked or not doesn't really matter at this point. I'm excited to see how Sony uses this. They may be able to make their next system last 10+ years without bringing out the PS5 earlier than that if they can make cloud gaming work on the console.

pharoahhalfdead

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2010
I don't even have a Playstation but hopefully backwards compatibility wont be an issue across the different versions if you are using the cloud. Just like Sony ended backwards compatibility with PS2 when the PS3 Slim came out, I wonder if that will be non existent with the PS4. I understand not playing PS4 games on a PS2 but now there should be no reason not to be able to play PS2 games on PS4 with cloud gaming.

aftcomet

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2010
Not a fan of cloud gaming. Way too much control is lost on my end. Not to mention internet latencies have a long way to go. Cloud gaming is more a novelty to me than an actual function.

Pass.

Darkerson

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009
I like how some of these comments come off as "I dont like this, so it shouldnt even exist!"

I may not use it, but its good to have more options out there. Hopefully they do something neat with it, like being able to stream PC games onto consoles. Not the most elegant solution, but its better than nothing at all.

DroKing

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2010
[citation][nom]lasaldude[/nom]Comments above me ^^, Smart Post, Hater, Hater, Hater, Hater, Great Suggestion.[/citation]

then moronic after Great suggestion.

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
[citation][nom]DroKing[/nom]I have a hunch that Sony will destory this company. I said it first.[/citation]

Good, one less cloud gaming company. Hopefully OnLive next.

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
[citation][nom]Darkerson[/nom]I like how some of these comments come off as "I dont like this, so it shouldnt even exist!"[/citation]

Do you actually understand why people hate the cloud? No? It's not because it's an "option". It's because it tries to phase out everything else. And I don't want some stupid streamed games to phase out my locally ran ones.

smuggl3r

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2011
The first game with photorealistic graphics will be played on the CLOUD, not on the PC or console. You cant compare the hardware power of the cloud to the PC or the console.

DroKing

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2010
[citation][nom]smuggl3r[/nom]The first game with photorealistic graphics will be played on the CLOUD, not on the PC or console. You cant compare the hardware power of the cloud to the PC or the console.[/citation]

LOL you cannot be serious... either you are a PR for cloud companies or just flat out a person who doesnt understand the difference between cloud and local benefits.

smuggl3r

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2011
[citation][nom]DroKing[/nom]LOL you cannot be serious... either you are a PR for cloud companies or just flat out a person who doesnt understand the difference between cloud and local benefits.[/citation]

The only benefits local has over the cloud is because of the internet connection of users. America is a 3rd world country in that aspect right now. (I pay 15$/month for 100Mbit internet in an ex-communist country in europe) Hopefully in the next 3-4 years this will change.

The cloud gives you what is the best in the consoles and the PC:
-From the consoles: SAME HARDWARE, NO WINDOWS AND OTHER BULLSH**T RUNNING IN THE BACKGROUND HOGGING RESOURCES. This is why the 7 years old consoles can still keep up with the PCs. This is a huge performance gain.
-From the PC: HARDWARE UPGRADE. You are not stuck for several years with the same hardware. PC will never be the platform of choice over consoles, so this point is huge. Look at the sh*t we are in right kow: the current console generation is 7 years old and its holding back gaming. With cloud gaming we could have always the most current hardware.

ojas

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011
[citation][nom]smuggl3r[/nom]This is why the 7 years old consoles can still keep up with the PCs.[/citation]
They can't.

Anyway, i didn't expect this, i thought Gaikai were getting too big on their own. Plus they're palling around with nvidia all the time.

It's interesting, because...i don't know what this means for the PS4. Will it run on kepler hardware? will it have a weak GPU and support only cloud gaming? or will it be able to play local media and games initially with an upgrade to stream games of Gaikai's servers in a few years time?

If gaikai stream stugg to playstations across the world, it'll be a win for PC gaming IMO. Developers will make games for running on Kepler on Gaikai's servers, and can scale it down for the PC. Don't know what that means for AMD, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.