Sony CEO Defends the Handling of PSN Breach

Status
Not open for further replies.

azrealhk

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2006
It is an unfortunate but sad fact that IT works on the "If it is not broken, dont fix it". I work in IT and know that constantly patching a system, can some times be more problematic than leaving it alone. It is easy to say in hindsight that a company should do this and that etc.
The point is, it could have been any company. The problem is the hackers , they disrupted the system (probably on purpose).
How many more companies need to be hacked before we realize it is not mainly a Sony problem.

_Cubase_

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2009
I agree with his comments. If every company shut down their systems and notified the general public of every "possible" breach, services all over the world would constantly be shutting down and causing a panic in their user base for nothing. I believe that as soon as Sony found out it was a genuine breach, and as serious one at that, they wasted no time in taking the appropriate actions.

Remember that false alarm with America's missile detection system during the cold war that almost caused WW3? My point is: they realised it was probably best to asses the situation fully before you start pushing buttons.

Khimera2000

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
I stand by my opinion. This situation shouldent of existed in the first place. Having your network hacked, sure... loosing some user tidbits... understandable, some one wants it they will find a way. However the amount of information compremised is just shocking. How could they leave so much infromation vulnrable in such a conveniant way for black hats?

They can say what they want the fact is every one of those people now has enough information floating out there to steal there Identety, and all sony had to do to buffer most of this flak is NOT keep everyones information in the same place, and dont piss off people with tons of people with anger issues and lots of free time to stare at every beloved patriot at your armor.

A company as big as this is a prime target. They should of known that someone would want IN, they should of known the extent of potential damage if they got in, and they should of known that theres ALOT OF ANGRY NERDS that has sony in there cross hairs since they striped some of the features from the PS3.

Accepting an appolagy from them would be equal to accepting an appolagy from your broker after that one stock he chose for all your millions turns your whapping fortion into just enough for a happy meal. Ya you can accept the appolagy, but is it really the same when the guy next door went with someone else and only lost a couple weeks profit, and a coffee?

G

In my opinion, the problem is that Sony got hacked AND showed an extremely poor online security effort to protect their customers' information. Most of the information stolen was not encrypted, which should be a standard in todays world of never ending security breaches.

Having the information of over 77 million people under poor security, Sony should not be throwing other companies under the car with them saying it happens to everyone. They need to man-up like the big company they think they are and admit that they did wrong and followed horrible procedures.

Blessedman

Distinguished
May 29, 2001
My biggest problem with this is Sony was given fair warning of the actions that were about to come down on them. They dismissed a threat from a group that governments fear and I think that is where Sony ultimately failed. That and the fact that the most important information they can keep on file was not encrypted. Unless I am mistaken and the hackers were able to not only grab the data but the keys as well.

mikeynavy1976

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2007
It is easy to blame Sony. Noone seems to blame the hackers or push for any action against them. There's another option. People adjust their priorities so video games aren't at the top of the list. Sony didn't make you put your personal information on there. Everyone knows that anything you put online is at risk of being stolen. If you don't know, then you are naive and gullible, and deserve to have it stolen. People made the choice that Playstation 3 was worth the risk of putting their credit card information on there to play video games and access online content. Sony is at fault too...but doesn't deserve the anger, paranoia, and hatred that has resulted. If they had been able to prevent this, it probably would've resulted in smaller maintenance outages and the same people complaining now would be crying out that Sony sucks and they let the network go down in the middle of some life-or-death online game. It's a lose-lose situation for Sony as consumers are greedy, have no patience, and want everything for nothing.

Khimera2000

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]mikeynavy1976[/nom]It is easy to blame Sony. Noone seems to blame the hackers or push for any action against them. There's another option. People adjust their priorities so video games aren't at the top of the list. Sony didn't make you put your personal information on there. Everyone knows that anything you put online is at risk of being stolen. If you don't know, then you are naive and gullible, and deserve to have it stolen. People made the choice that Playstation 3 was worth the risk of putting their credit card information on there to play video games and access online content. Sony is at fault too...but doesn't deserve the anger, paranoia, and hatred that has resulted. If they had been able to prevent this, it probably would've resulted in smaller maintenance outages and the same people complaining now would be crying out that Sony sucks and they let the network go down in the middle of some life-or-death online game. It's a lose-lose situation for Sony as consumers are greedy, have no patience, and want everything for nothing.[/citation]

Its easy to blame sony because it didnt even look liked they tried to begin with. I just glanced through my network + security book and it had 3 scanarious that would of avertid this disaster in the first 10 min of reading.

It is understood that you information is at risk when you go online. Its at more risk at those nice brick and morter. But if your saying that its ok for a company to forget to encript all that information, and forgot to split up game infro from user info, and have it stolen... thats three strikes in the span of one attack.

They didn't secure the information, they tried to secure the way in, but once in they where in there was nothing put in place to stop them... other then a couple of hexadecimals.

The amount of users compramised is also a sing of how much sony failed. ALL that infromation in one place think of it. Do you put all the information vital to your life in your locked volvo??? no matter how secured it looks that information has to be spread out, and protected. At least protect the infromation to the point that one attack will not give you all the crap you need to become someone else.

If they just broke up the infromaion, and encripted then I would give it to them... but as it stands they didnt, and 77 million people now need identaty protection, and all there able to do is shoot out PR spin in hopes that it could do a little for public opinion in order to buffer those painfull lawsuits that are comming.

G

Sony has delt with this as competently as they could. Sure, they could have used more initial security, but their reaction to events has been just about right. Furthermore, the HACKERS are the actual A-HOLES HERE! How do you not get that?

ikyung

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2010
Is it that hard to get personal information now-a-days? Who cares if they know your information. You are a nobody. Whether you are using Visa, MC, American Express, etc. there is a liability coverage for it. If you are THAT worried just call your CC company and tell them to send you a new card and deactivate your old one.

Trust me, who cares if these hackers know your personal information. How many forms did you fill out in your life time that contains your information? Probably hundreds. Meaning your information is already out there.

Humans make software, humans can crack software.

someguynamedmatt

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2010
[citation][nom]welltester[/nom]and just how many times has sony not reported a breach like this?[/citation]
Nobody knows, which is why that's a failure of an attempted bashing on Sony. Am I one of the few people out there who understand how attacks like this work? What did you think was going to happen? Their server's copy of Norton would detect an attempted intrusion and block it? No. People who knew what they were doing attacked, got through, and Sony pulled the plug as soon as they saw it happening. And reported it faster than pretty much all other companies, whether you believe what was said or not. What else do you want from them? Free beer?[citation][nom]khimera2000[/nom]Its easy to blame sony because it didnt even look liked they tried to begin with. I just glanced through my network + security book and it had 3 scanarious that would of avertid this disaster in the first 10 min of reading.It is understood that you information is at risk when you go online. Its at more risk at those nice brick and morter. But if your saying that its ok for a company to forget to encript all that information, and forgot to split up game infro from user info, and have it stolen... thats three strikes in the span of one attack. They didn't secure the information, they tried to secure the way in, but once in they where in there was nothing put in place to stop them... other then a couple of hexadecimals.The amount of users compramised is also a sing of how much sony failed. ALL that infromation in one place think of it. Do you put all the information vital to your life in your locked volvo??? no matter how secured it looks that information has to be spread out, and protected. At least protect the infromation to the point that one attack will not give you all the crap you need to become someone else. If they just broke up the infromaion, and encripted then I would give it to them... but as it stands they didnt, and 77 million people now need identaty protection, and all there able to do is shoot out PR spin in hopes that it could do a little for public opinion in order to buffer those painfull lawsuits that are comming.[/citation]
Nope. It's all in a safe, thank you very much. Do you scatter your information all throughout various random places in your house? Didn't think so. But if I were to get a team of professional safe crackers in my basement, what the hell do you think is going to happen?[citation][nom]Blessedman[/nom]My biggest problem with this is Sony was given fair warning of the actions that were about to come down on them. They dismissed a threat from a group that governments fear and I think that is where Sony ultimately failed. That and the fact that the most important information they can keep on file was not encrypted. Unless I am mistaken and the hackers were able to not only grab the data but the keys as well.[/citation]
I am about to shoot you. Stop me. ... See? I told you what was going to happen, and you didnt do anything about it. I must not have done anything wrong.[citation][nom]azrealhk[/nom]It is an unfortunate but sad fact that IT works on the "If it is not broken, dont fix it". I work in IT and know that constantly patching a system, can some times be more problematic than leaving it alone. It is easy to say in hindsight that a company should do this and that etc.The point is, it could have been any company. The problem is the hackers , they disrupted the system (probably on purpose).How many more companies need to be hacked before we realize it is not mainly a Sony problem.[/citation]
A lot. As long as Sony refuses to allow people to pirate games and hack their consoles with no consequences, these ignorant bastards are just going to keep bashing on them because they have nothing at all better to do. That's all there is to it.

techguy378

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2009
Everyone should thank Sony for what they did to resolve this unfortunate data breach. No other company has ever resolved such a serious data breach as well as Sony has.

Status
Not open for further replies.