Sony Details PSN 'Customer Appreciation' Program

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

heiso

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2011
I'm happy with this compensation package. Congrats to Sony.

They handled the situation to the best of their ability. Not telling consumers about the attack until 7-9 days after is no big deal. It's not like consumers knowing it any earlier would make a difference. Sony can prevent future attacks now that they have upped their security.

For all those not satisfied with the compensation package, remember this: Sony is under no obligation to give us free stuff. PSN was down for 3 weeks out of the 5 years they have been operating FREE.

G

"Like I have said in previous posts; at least Sony is offering compensation. Sure, their network was (probably) not up to scratch. Yes, they probably didn't need to alienate the hacker community. But at least Sony is reimbursing customers - you don't see many corporations doing that."

@eddieroolz

Yes you do, you don't see many corporations screwing up like Sony did. When netflix service goes down they reimburse you for the day you lost. Name a company that has screwed up and hasn't tried to rectify it with their customers. Too me what sony is offering is peanuts.

The entire situation amuses me. The only reason Sony went after hackers is because they were concerned about losing profits to pirating. Your average person can barely change basic PC settings let alone modify a console. It's simple to modify an xbox360 out of 10 people I know who own one none of them have theirs modified. This downtime and bad PR has cost them much more than the loss of profits due to pirating would have.

They should just due what microsoft does modding your xbox will void your warranty and result in your account being banned from online services if you get caught. This is good enough to scare your average user off from modding their console. And it doesn't compromise security or your privacy.

G

Sony can stuff their crap offer up their corporate jacksies.
Either I get product of MY choice to the value of the £/$/Euro 340 or I want the cash.
$/£/Euro 340 is the amount Sony owes you by law.

nezzymighty

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2010
Are these games exclusive to US only residents? Lastly, if you had your choice of the two games on PS3... what are the best choices to make? Let's start a poll....

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
The games are pretty sad, but still a good move overall by Sony. It is also going to get users to try their pay services, so its kind of win-win for everybody.

surfer1337dude

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2008
[citation][nom]heiso[/nom]I'm happy with this compensation package. Congrats to Sony.They handled the situation to the best of their ability. Not telling consumers about the attack until 7-9 days after is no big deal. It's not like consumers knowing it any earlier would make a difference. Sony can prevent future attacks now that they have upped their security.For all those not satisfied with the compensation package, remember this: Sony is under no obligation to give us free stuff. PSN was down for 3 weeks out of the 5 years they have been operating FREE.[/citation]
Are you serious? The 7-9 days matter alot if the hackers have gotten credit card #'s, in that time you could have had 1000s stolen. Also they definitely have your email and password so if you used the same email and password combo on other sites (like your email, facebook, banking site, etc) it would be enough time to also hijack those as well. Sony should have notified its consumers with stolen information the day/minute they found out about it.

tarheelfan

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2009
I appreciate the gesture by Sony but really, its a piss-poor compensation package. I understand not offering new AAA quality games but the selection is poor at best. Five cheap old games...really? Any game on that list a person would want they would have purchased by now. I already own inFamous and Dead Nation so I guess I am SOL since the other games hold no interest for me. The Playstaion Plus program for a month? So I get to rent a few PS1 games for a month and don't have to manually update for 30 days....Yay? Really this is a pitiful offer for the hassle and anxiety caused by this whole incident after worrying about my CC info, changing CC card and having to change all my automatic billing with other companies.

megamanx00

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2008
Sony has taken away functionality from the PS3, pissed off (and sued) it's user based, can't keep customer data safe and they come back all.

We givez you free gamez. Oldies but goodies. Youz forgive us now? o_O

G

Prey, did you read the whole page before you posted a link to it?

"'We temporarily took down the PSN and Qriocity password reset page. Contrary to some reports, there was no hack involved.'"

tearlock

Distinguished
May 18, 2011
Wow, I got a free copy of Little Big Planet from Amazon using store credit a couple months ago. If only I'd waited. However, I do think this is a good move on Sony's part. People complaining about the "bribery" angle don't seem to be offering alternate suggestions regarding what they'd rather see happen short of using time-travel to prevent the issue. Yeah, I'm pissed still, but at least they're offering a consolation of some sort other than "sorry".

By the way, I'm an adult gamer and Little Big Planet comes highly recommended by me. That one should be #1 on everyone's list. That's an awesome deal.

G

Why everyone is complaining i'll never understand. First off, you know that Ps3 online gaming is free, unlike Xbox Live, who has constant monitoring of it's dedicated servers. Free online gaming is a risk everyone was (or should have been) aware of. Just like entering your credit card on any website, buying something online, or whatever, there's always a risk of hackers getting ahold of that information. Guess what? On top of being able to play online for free as always, we now get free stuff that in all honesty, Sony doesn't need to offer us. So stop whining.

G

Let's see...This is perfect for me. PSN is free, I had no valuable information like all the COD map pack addicts, or dumb people who can't go without Angry Birds or Bejeweled for a day, and I get two free games. And the PS3 and all games have been a gift. I haven't spent a dime. The stealing of information was bad, but you have a more likely shot of it being stolen and used at a Walmart then through PSN. So Sony doesn't have the intense testing that Microsoft does for firewalls (which is why Vista sucked...it's a hackers paradise). They learned. God knows Microsoft had to. And for all you 360'ers out there, forget that. Being Microsoft based, you can get any one of those games on a PC, and it'll run a thousand times more smooth if you know what you're doing and have a well built computer (hopefully by yourself, not just Alienware). So shut up about how the 360 is better. When Xbox Live gets hacked one day, you all will flip and there is more money to be lost in that.

G

Many times in my life, my cable, satellite, or phone service has gone out. Yet I was still billed the full monthly amount. No pro-rated amount or discount or credit or any other acknowledgement that they messed up at all. At least Sony is trying to make amends. Yes, it may be older games we all have or dont want, but like our mothers used to tell us, it's the thought that counts.

Sony might not have a lot of moral high ground, but they easily could have handled all of this a lot worse.

G

the free games are awesome but i dont blame sony at all for the downtime i blame the jerkhole hackers that had nothing better to do than ruin peoples gaming...

G

im so damn frustrated with there kiss ass i own ALL OF THEM and i hav a yr of ps+ wtf am i suposed to do

Status
Not open for further replies.