Sony Filed Patent For Kinect-Like Motion Device

Status
Not open for further replies.

tacoslave

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2009
mfw :0 sony eyetoy =2003 microsoft kinect 2010 and dont tell me the kinect is more advanced of course it is it was released 7 years later on much faster hardware than a ps2.

Vladislaus

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
[citation][nom]tacoslave[/nom]mfw :0 sony eyetoy =2003 microsoft kinect 2010 and dont tell me the kinect is more advanced of course it is it was released 7 years later on much faster hardware than a ps2.[/citation]
The EyeToy is a completely different technology. The EyeToy and Playstation Eye are just webcams. Sony then uses software to attempt to translate the surroundings to 3D. Of course this makes it highly inaccurate and basically can only be used for basic gesture recognition.

Kinect on the other hand uses one RGB camera and two IR cameras to reconstruct it's surroundings in 3D with much more accuracy. The idea may be the same as the original EyeToy for the PS2 but the execution is completely different.

back_by_demand

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
MS won't litigate, they said they wouldn't recently as long as people are reasonable and license the tech. Also, for Sony to claim this is their idea is as laughable as it is desperate.

TeraMedia

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2006
The company that developed the tech for MSFT is a 3rd party located in Israel, PrimeSense. If MSFT has any patents, it would be because they bought IP from them.

Sony's patent application is ridiculous. Talk about late to the party.

bfstev

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2008
[citation][nom]TeraMedia[/nom]The company that developed the tech for MSFT is a 3rd party located in Israel, PrimeSense. If MSFT has any patents, it would be because they bought IP from them.Sony's patent application is ridiculous. Talk about late to the party.[/citation]

Well the patent for MSFT might not be approved yet. The kinect is still a fairly new product and its patents might still be in approval limbo

captaincharisma

Distinguished
[citation][nom]phamhlam[/nom]Sony is going to have a hard time dodging Microsoft patents.[/citation]

well nintendo didn't go after them for the playstation move orthe sixaxis motion contols so i thiink they are safe

G

Sony has some of the best R&D in the world. What happens to these discoveries after they make news headlines, i have no idea :-s such a shame really.

Anomalyx

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2010
[citation][nom]captaincharisma[/nom]well nintendo didn't go after them for the playstation move orthe sixaxis motion contols so i thiink they are safe[/citation]
But the Sony Wiimote was totally different! It had different colored light orbs that made it totally original!

Status
Not open for further replies.