Sony Files for Steroscopic Multiplayer Patent

Status
Not open for further replies.

japolinar

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2010
Probably works like a 3d game, but intead of having the glasses to switch waht the left and rigth eye sees, it goes completly to each individual player, both eyes at the same time.

ikefu

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2009
So I would need a microphone to talk to the person I'm playing with sitting right next to me since I have earphones in?

I love the idea of being able to play co-op and still have a full screen, I just don't think wearing ear plug headphones at the same time will work quite as well.

lukeeu

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2010
[citation][nom]japolinar[/nom]Probably works like a 3d game, but intead of having the glasses to switch waht the left and rigth eye sees, it goes completly to each individual player, both eyes at the same time.[/citation]
Thank you Captain Obvious

Blessedman

Distinguished
May 29, 2001
this is really a great idea, even for co-op games where one player can sabotage the second player by falling behind. I know it will take extra programming to get it right, but man this will add a whole new complexity to co-op play. The benefits for 1v1 is easy to see but the benefits for co-op actually is a game changer. Having each player take different routes to accomplish a task is just an awesome proposition.

bennyt

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2009
The possibilities outside gaming should be considered also. Being able to watch seperate channels, movies or even game consoles on the one TV at the same time will have me buying this.

koga73

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2008
lets be smart... this has a more practical use for regular tv than games. Imagine being in the same room as someone else and being able to each watch separate shows on the same tv.

allrock

Distinguished
May 20, 2010
They are simply using the 3D disply to display two normal images in alternating frames at a fast enougth rate so they dont flicker , and adding a switch to glasses that puts them in view 1 or view 2 or 3D mode (both eyes are either blocked for what you are not suposed to see, or unblocked on the view selected if the display was fast enougth its posable for even more selectable views, whats important is that there be no crosstalk from frames you are not suposed to see and high enougth frame rate to insure moving image quality.

Lekko

Distinguished
May 10, 2008
I think this would be more useful for a couple where one wants to watch TV and the other wants to play a game. Now one TV can do both at the same time.

Vampyrbyte

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2009
[citation][nom]Lekko[/nom]I think this would be more useful for a couple where one wants to watch TV and the other wants to play a game. Now one TV can do both at the same time.[/citation]
^This

Or perhaps I can play PS3, with my brother sat next to me playing xbox. Possibilities really are endless for something like this. Its also pretty scalable.

Seeing as normal TV is only 30FPS, couldnt you manage this on existing panels for TV anyway, you wouldnt be missing any frames on a 60hz panel. Or am I missing something key here?

Status
Not open for further replies.