Sony Hints at Compensation for PSN Users

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

house70

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
[citation][nom]back_by_demand[/nom]If they give compensation to anyone they have to give it to everyone, otherwise you lodge a suit for unfair treatment. Even if damages ran to just $100 each, with 70 million users affected it could cost $7 billion.That's not chump change to anyone.Add legal fees and see that cost rise, so..........Class action lawsuit anyone?[/citation]
nah, they'll just offer some credits to their online store or something similar.

G

The Xbox360 was not hacked,it was overload on the servers due to the Flood of NEW xboxlive subscribers.Yes,they were down for 2 weeks,and NO it was not because it was Hacked.

stingstang

Distinguished
May 11, 2009
^That's about what I would except to happen.
...That, or like I heard on CNN, a free week of some kind of service.
That doesn't make sense, though... PSN is free.

jasonpwns

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2010
[citation][nom]chick0n[/nom]You forgot what happened when Xbox live got hacked just couple years ago? damn people forget things FAST.[/citation]

You forgot that the Xbox Live network wasn't 100% down and it wasn't due to a hack, but because tons of new subscribers flooded the network? Oh and how it was only down for 11 days when the PSN network will most likely be down more for a more severe reason? Yeah.

G

jasonpwns:
You forgot that the Xbox Live network wasn't 100% down and it wasn't due to a hack, but because tons of new subscribers flooded the network? Oh and how it was only down for 11 days when the PSN network will most likely be down more for a more severe reason? Yeah.

And what difference it makes actually?
And how desperate and idiotic fanboy you should be to care and troll so much about some service down?
Fact is,that xbot 360 acc soooo easily can be hacked,even M$ stuff got owned like that.
M$ network get down because tons of subscribers flooded? LOL - its M$ story,or you write it yourself?
I find xbot 360 fanboys way WAY much more worst than any other console.Maybe because 95% of them spotty teenagers screaming in CoD?

NuclearShadow

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2007
[citation][nom]xbot360SUX[/nom]Maybe because 95% of them spotty teenagers screaming in CoD?[/citation]

This statement is not only highly incorrect but also very offensive sir. Everyone knows that the majority of CoD online gamers on the consoles are 11-12 year old kids screaming into their mic.
A public apology is demanded.

bak0n

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2009
[citation][nom]NuclearShadow[/nom]This statement is not only highly incorrect but also very offensive sir. Everyone knows that the majority of CoD online gamers on the consoles are 11-12 year old kids screaming into their mic.A public apology is demanded.[/citation]

There is nothing I enjoyed more playing CoD than questioning a pre-pubescent child of their gender, especially when they were first and disconnect because of it!

back_by_demand

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]xbot360SUX[/nom]jasonpwns:You forgot that the Xbox Live network wasn't 100% down and it wasn't due to a hack, but because tons of new subscribers flooded the network? Oh and how it was only down for 11 days when the PSN network will most likely be down more for a more severe reason? Yeah.And what difference it makes actually? And how desperate and idiotic fanboy you should be to care and troll so much about some service down?Fact is,that xbot 360 acc soooo easily can be hacked,even M$ stuff got owned like that.M$ network get down because tons of subscribers flooded? LOL - its M$ story,or you write it yourself?I find xbot 360 fanboys way WAY much more worst than any other console.Maybe because 95% of them spotty teenagers screaming in CoD?[/citation]
Engrish must be ur sekund langwidge, eyether that or ur trying geek speek and geting an Epic Fayul

thillntn

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2010
$ony compensates by removing features. Bring back otheros and sprinkle some rsx support on it; I might even make a psn account for that.

zerghumper

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2010
It's nice not suffering from these fanboy problems, sure my PC costs more than an Xbox
and Playstation 3 combined, but when you consider how much more gameplay I get out of each game thanks to mods, well I think Cave Johnson would say it best;

"That's 65% more game, per game!"

However, my thoughts really do go out to those affected by this outage who may have also had their credit card numbers stolen. If I were you I would cancel my card right away just to be safe.

And to the people trying to compare this to the Xbox Live outage it's apples and oranges. For starters Live going down wasn't a security breach, and private information was not stolen, however it is a paid service, so it probably made the users even angrier I would imagine.

damian86

Distinguished
May 17, 2009
[citation][nom]redgarl[/nom]Give us 10$ in download content, will do the trick >[/citation]

WTF would you do with $10, grow up.

Khimera2000

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]zerghumper[/nom]It's nice not suffering from these fanboy problems, sure my PC costs more than an Xboxand Playstation 3 combined, [/citation]

I actually paid less for my system then i did for my Xbox + accessories. although more was invested over time, it is still able to play anything i throw at it. The good part about my PC though is that I actually have the option to upgrade individual parts, and not have to wait for any one to release a new product, or if i where to do a major rebuild i can recycle parts from my old system to cut down cost (which i did :D)

sdeleon515

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2010
1- PC > Xbox/PS3...this is a fact so let's move on

2- PS3's network was already significantly compromised from multiple attacks making it a cakewalk to steal the info. To make a fitting analogy, I can steal Bruce Lee's wallet rather easily and take his credit card if he got into a fight with Chuck Norris before hand. This is what happened to Sony. We won't question this logic as Chuck Norris is involved and we'll leave it at that.

3- The other "OS" issue is a mute point only for the sole reason that homebrewed are typically a means to piracy. And no I didn't say 100% I said "typically". Nintendo knows this all too well. This is a bigger issue for Sony as they don't charge for their online network. Xbox does and, therefore, can recoup losses in this area rather more easily.

4- CoD not all players of CoD are pubescent kids, only some are, others just have that maturity level. Others, like myself, just avoid this crap altogether.

markso125

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2008
[citation][nom]sdeleon515[/nom]2- PS3's network was already significantly compromised from multiple attacks making it a cakewalk to steal the info. To make a fitting analogy, I can steal Bruce Lee's wallet rather easily and take his credit card if he got into a fight with Chuck Norris before hand. This is what happened to Sony. We won't question this logic as Chuck Norris is involved and we'll leave it at that.[/citation]

You do realize that Bruce Lee is the one that trained Chuck Norris dont you... So it would be a better analagy if you were going to say that you were going to steal Chuck Norris's wallet if he were fighting Po....

NuclearShadow

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2007
[citation][nom]markso125[/nom]You do realize that Bruce Lee is the one that trained Chuck Norris dont you... So it would be a better analagy if you were going to say that you were going to steal Chuck Norris's wallet if he were fighting Po....[/citation]

Incorrect, Chuck Norris went back in time to train Bruce Lee whom then letter trained the then present Chuck Norris. Of course the then present Chuck Norris knew all of this but being as awesome as Chuck Norris is was modest about it. As for how Chuck Norris traveled through time, when Chuck Norris tells time, time obeys!

G

Funny how many people seem to think they deserve compensation for the loss of a free service or the fear of having their information stolen.

Sony only needs to compensate those that have been damaged by the intrusion. If a user can prove damages as a result of this incident then they can, and should, expect some form of compensation. If your information was simply stolen but no damage was done then you will get nothing because no damage was done.

More than likely Sony will give some freebie like access to PSN's premium service for a limited time. Heck they might even kill the free version of PSN completely under the guise they need to beef up security. and security is not free. So after 6 months or 1 year of free access it will become a billable monthly charge.

Either way people are not going to be getting something for nothing out of this problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.