Sony Hints PS4 Won't Arrive Much Later Than Xbox 720

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NightLight

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2004
I wonder about the optical drive of the "720". I guess it's most likely to be bluray, but
that would be a little bit of a concession from ms... Also usb3 for external storage would be nice...

bvsbutthd101

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2010
[citation][nom]otacon72[/nom]If I was a gamer, which I definably am not, I'd rather go the console route. Just one high end video card cost as much as an entire game console. At least the console isn't obsolete after 12 months. I'm sure I'll be thumbed down mercilessness now..lol[/citation]

Are you kidding me. Obsolete in 12 months. You obviously must not no much about computer hardware. They're people out there playing BF3 on a gtx 260 that now cost 60 bucks. A card that is well over 12 months old. Yeah they may not be playing on max setting but it still looks a hell of a lot better than the console version. Consoles hold PC's back of what they can really do and Battlefield 3 proves that. This games shows you how beautiful it can look when it isn't ported from outdated consoles.

chomlee

Distinguished
May 11, 2007
I play games on both my PC and my PS3 and the difference is that the PS3 is just easier to sit in front of grab the controller and go. When I play on the PC, I have to go into the computer room, boot up the PC, go to the Catalyst center to enable the tv screen, start the game, make sure the audio is working properly and then go. The PS3 is already in my living room, and I just turn it on and go. I think it is a little more convenient.

If they can get the graphics on the 720 or PS4 to be equivalent to the unreal3 engine demo, I am in. Regardless of whatever platform you are planning to use, It's exciting to see the quality of gaming in the next jump in gaming graphics.

bvsbutthd101

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2010
[citation][nom]chomlee[/nom]I play games on both my PC and my PS3 and the difference is that the PS3 is just easier to sit in front of grab the controller and go. When I play on the PC, I have to go into the computer room, boot up the PC, go to the Catalyst center to enable the tv screen, start the game, make sure the audio is working properly and then go. The PS3 is already in my living room, and I just turn it on and go. I think it is a little more convenient.If they can get the graphics on the 720 or PS4 to be equivalent to the unreal3 engine demo, I am in. Regardless of whatever platform you are planning to use, It's exciting to see the quality of gaming in the next jump in gaming graphics.[/citation]

My computer is on most of the day, except at night. I have an SSD so it boot up quick. Turning it on isn't a problem. Not sure why you have to go through all those steps just to play a game on your PC. All I have to do is go downstairs. Double click the game I want to play and I'm playing in seconds.

DirectXtreme

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2011
[citation][nom]MasterMace[/nom]Of course you'll be thumbed down mercilessly. You're talking nonsense. Just one high end video card grinds an entire game console into the dirt. A PS3 costs what? $300? That's about how much a GTX 570 / Radeon 6970 goes for. You think the PS3 can hold a candle to those cards? I think not.The PS3's graphics is a castrated 7900GT. Try running any games on that card, they'll look horrible, as horrible as they do on the PS3. The cell processor runs around 14.3 gflops of double precision. An Athlon II X2 at stock speeds pulls 19.8 gflops. Don't give us this crap of "well the console only costs x and isn't obsolete after x".The PS3 has been obsolete for years. Companies shit all over game quality to make it work on consoles. The PS3 came out in November 2006, the 7900GT in March 2006. You can build a computer more powerful than a PS3 for less than the PS3 costs, with games of higher quality than a PS3, and hell you can even plug in a PS3 controller if your so infatuated with it, and didn't want to use a keyboard+mouse.[/citation]
Actually, the PS3's GPU design is even older than a GeForce 7900 GT. The PS3's GPU is based off of the design of the GeForce 7800 GTX, a high-end graphics card which was released on June 22, 2005. So the PS3's GPU design was over a year old when it first launched.

Vladislaus

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
[citation][nom]MasterMace[/nom]Of course you'll be thumbed down mercilessly. You're talking nonsense. Just one high end video card grinds an entire game console into the dirt. A PS3 costs what? $300? That's about how much a GTX 570 / Radeon 6970 goes for. You think the PS3 can hold a candle to those cards? I think not.The PS3's graphics is a castrated 7900GT. Try running any games on that card, they'll look horrible, as horrible as they do on the PS3. The cell processor runs around 14.3 gflops of double precision. An Athlon II X2 at stock speeds pulls 19.8 gflops. Don't give us this crap of "well the console only costs x and isn't obsolete after x".The PS3 has been obsolete for years. Companies shit all over game quality to make it work on consoles. The PS3 came out in November 2006, the 7900GT in March 2006. You can build a computer more powerful than a PS3 for less than the PS3 costs, with games of higher quality than a PS3, and hell you can even plug in a PS3 controller if your so infatuated with it, and didn't want to use a keyboard+mouse.[/citation]
A PS3 costs 250$. Sorry I have my doubts you can buy a gaming PC for that price. Just the OS alone costs a minimum of $80. A bluray reader costs about $50. Now you have left $120 for the CPU, motherboard, RAM, HDD and GPU. It surely will be the ultimate gaming machine.

graysoniv

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2011
[citation][nom]Vladislaus[/nom]A PS3 costs 250$. Sorry I have my doubts you can buy a gaming PC for that price. Just the OS alone costs a minimum of $80. A bluray reader costs about $50. Now you have left $120 for the CPU, motherboard, RAM, HDD and GPU. It surely will be the ultimate gaming machine.[/citation]
For 250$ probably not (hard and expensive to get antiquated computer parts). But as this site has shown, for 500 you can build a pretty bitching system that will smoke a PS3 and do a heck of a lot more than play games and watch movies...

hetneo

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2011
[citation][nom]otacon72[/nom]If I was a gamer, which I definably am not, I'd rather go the console route. Just one high end video card cost as much as an entire game console. At least the console isn't obsolete after 12 months. I'm sure I'll be thumbed down mercilessness now..lol[/citation]
Define obsolete, because today games look and play much better on 3 years old high end GPU than on consoles.

BulkZerker

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2010
[citation][nom]MasterMace[/nom](Blah blah blah we know the PC's graphics cars are better, blah blah blah) 6. You can build a computer more powerful than a PS3 for less than the PS3 costs, with games of higher quality than a PS3, and hell you can even plug in a PS3 controller if your so infatuated with it, and didn't want to use a keyboard+mouse.[/citation]

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16868110088

Ok you have a $300 budget to build a PC that plays a new title on 720P resolution (not including monitor, not including OS) with new parts GO!

Oh wait... YOU CAN'T!

That's the facts man. A Console when new (being $600 or so last time I checked when the PS3 and 360 were brand new) was comparable in price to a NICE gaming tower. But as the parts become older dieshrinks... ect. Consoles become unbeatable in terms of price.

iNiNe5

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2006
PC gamers are never going to win this battle.... Look at the people you're up against! Those pepper spraying folks camping out on Black-Boxing-Week-Friday for the latest PoS-3/60-CoD-HALO-WTF-Kinect-a-Move Door-Smasher Edition Bundle..... it's all about instant gratification. The average Joe neither has the patience nor the technical expertise to "build" a PC to play games. It's a lot easier to buy a biggie-size Big Mac meal than it is to learn how to cook and prepare your own quality dinner.

stevo777

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2008
In the previous couple of console releases, the one out the door first has pretty much won the round. It seems better to build up a base before the other gets in.

G

PC gamers are never going to win this battle.... Look at the people you're up against! Those pepper spraying folks camping out on Black-Boxing-Week-Friday for the latest PoS-3/60-CoD-HALO-WTF-Kinect-a-Move Door-Smasher Edition Bundle..... it's all about instant gratification. The average Joe neither has the patience nor the technical expertise to "build" a PC to play games. It's a lot easier to buy a biggie-size Big Mac meal than it is to learn how to cook and prepare your own quality dinner.

I'm sorry but berating someone for not building a PC is the same as a kit car builder berating someone for buying a car pre built. Some people just aren't in the least bit interested in building a PC. You ever though they might not have the time, or heaven forbid they just wouldn't know how to. Because if you don't know how to build an engine, you must be a complete waste of space right?

51l3n5t

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2011
[citation][nom]chomlee[/nom]If they can get the graphics on the 720 or PS4 to be equivalent to the unreal3 engine demo, I am in. Regardless of whatever platform you are planning to use, It's exciting to see the quality of gaming in the next jump in gaming graphics.[/citation]

....What next generation? Do you think 720/PS4 games look much/any better than BF3 on PC?

PC gamers are already in your next generation. We are just waiting (even praying) for consoles else to catch up.

fulle

Distinguished
May 31, 2008
I'm actually not a blind hater, and have both a PS3 and a high end PC.

I like my PS3. God of War 3 and FFXIII were both a lot of fun, and it makes a great media center. It connects to my PC's PS3 Media Server application, to receive movies and music, and I watch Netflix and Hulu Plus on it quite a bit. Plus, it plays Blu Ray movies, if needed.

What I think the main limitation with it, is the memory. 256MB of video+256MB of system memory, is simply not enough. Load times can get pretty big, and object pop in can be an issue.

Rumors are out there that the new systems might have 2GB of RAM. Which is a LOT better, sure... but, given how cheap RAM is these days, I hope that it's more in lines of 1GB of video RAM + 4GB of system RAM. Anything less, and I'll be disappointed at the missed opportunity to build a gaming machine that actually fixes the last gen of console's primary limitation.

darkavenger123

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2010

PC gamers never gets it....it was and still is NEVER about hardware. I play games on both PC and consoles, but prefererred consoles simply for the games and variety. PC is only good for FPS and RTS (which has been quiet dead recent years). Console's are all rounder, especially with the motion control like KINECT, simply offers an experience not AVAILABLE on the PC regardless how powerful your GPU is. AFAIK, PC hardware is not that far off from console...only DX11 vs DX10/DX9....hardly significant difference in terms of special effects and image quality. Consoles still looks great. It difference between then PS2/XBOX and the PC late in the PS2/XBOX cycle was quiet huge(DX9 vs DX8/DX7...the difference is very significant), but now the difference is really not much to shout about other than higher-res and more frame rates.(and maybe superior bloom lightning in DX11 and more details texture nobody notices unless you screen capture and zoom in to do comparisons!!!)

Like i said earlier...it is all about apps. Look at iPad2 vs Android tablets. Android hardware moves way faster and surpass the iPad2 in terms of hardware specs, but people still buy Ipad2 because of the fabulous apps, not because it can do 1 trillion instructions per second or whatever.

leaderWON

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2011
for you guys claiming that consoles are holding back pc games get a clue. there wouldn't be much of a market for pc games without consoles. really the relationship is more symbiotic than you guys give it credit for. graphics are slightly held back yes, but whats the excuse for stagnating gameplay? its definately not the console tech. bah! i'm old school anyway just give me a proper 2d hand drawn hd sequel to castlevania sotn and i'd be happy.

Status
Not open for further replies.