Sony Hints PS4 Won't Arrive Much Later Than Xbox 720

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kashifme21

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2009
@jarmo

That old box still doesnt need an upgrade to beat the PS3 in any game. As i told you it still runs games in 1080p, while it would be hard to put together 50 games on the PS3 that actually run in 1080p most of them will be PSN titles most AAA games are 720p or below.

I am sure a quad core can be found for that old box if you look around. A core2quad running at 4ghz is no slouch, it would give the first gen I7 a run for its money. Also read the articles on tomshardware most games today are GPU dependant. There was a article which mentioned even a system with a GTX 480 equipped with a 2.4ghz I7 is mostly GPU bound at 1080p.

Even if i dont decide to upgrade the old box, read my example again in 3 years time you already saved 900usd just on the games. Thats enough money to build a rig from scratch, which mostly isnt even needed since you can use many of the parts from the old rig too(casing, hard drives, dvd drive, mouse, keyboard) etc it all helps cutting costs when you do build a new system. regarding the OS you would need one regardless if you made the PC for gaming or not, its pretty much a requirement these days.

PC games drop in price much faster then the console versions. I personally bought BF3 on launch day for 37usd, Batman for 26usd again launch day. Selling your game on console is getting more and more difficult these days with all the online passes, its not just the same anymore.

In regards to old games i can currently play 15 year old games via Dosbox, My collection of games is maybe near a 1000 if i include my entire library. Dont think any other system can dream of such BC.

Jarmo

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2009
Guess that's valid enough.

So estimating $400 or so you'll need to cough up front to have a PC that'll meet or exceed a console for the generation. I'll maintain the better resale value and give $10 per game pricing advantage for PC. (This is, btw, assuming you know what you're buying, a market PC usually wouldn't last that long without upgrades)

That'd make it about 40 games before PC has the better value. Might be less or more.
I'm pretty sure that's more than an average user buys for an average console.
(And less than an average PC gamer buys in 5 yrs)

So... really into gaming? Get a PC.
Not that much into gaming or just prefer a hassle-free free time? Get a console.

NuclearShadow

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2007
[citation][nom]otacon72[/nom]If I was a gamer, which I definably am not, I'd rather go the console route. Just one high end video card cost as much as an entire game console. At least the console isn't obsolete after 12 months. I'm sure I'll be thumbed down mercilessness now..lol[/citation]

New PC hardware comes out quite fast this is true. However these advancements do not mean that older hardware is unable to run newer software you also do not need a high end video card just to play the games. The consoles however even on release day cannot actually compete with a mid grade PC of the time. Consoles are released already a few steps behind and this gets worse as time progresses during the consoles lifespan.

A PC also can save money in the end. Consoles love to sell accessories just look at the 360's hard-drives and the price of even just a extra controller. The average price for a new console game is $60 now while averagely the PC is still $50 this adds up. PC games also tend to drop in price and have better sales and platforms to buy the games such as Steam.

PC games can also give more value than a console game even if they are the exact same game. Take Skyrim for example a popular game that modders will extend content and improve upon the game from game-play, to even graphics. Skyrim for PC is a much better investment than the console versions.

The only thing consoles once had going for them was ease of use, but that has now gone with the wind because nowadays games have to install on consoles, patches have to be released, and now they too have become a risk of privacy and security issues (Like when Sony was hacked). So where do consoles actually have a advantage anymore? Their one thing is gone.

aaron88_7

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2010
Anyone serious about gaming has multiple, if not all systems. These pissing matches really only occur between those that can't afford more than one system. People that are really into games don't give a sh!t what system they are playing it on, as long as they are having fun.

shrapnel_indie

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2010
[citation][nom]jamersonnc[/nom]... people don't have to wait for the xbox to boot up, they don't normally have to install the game & stay on top of updates, patches..etc.. ...They don't (normally) have to worry about people running BOTS and cheating as heavily as they do with PC's ... and so long as we Americans become lazier and lazier, there will be a market for console games.[/citation]

Oh yes they do, it's just a more streamlined fashion that it doesn't need to load nearly as much, and what it does load is already in memory (ROM) in the first place it just boots much faster. (SSD's tend to help a PC considerably in booting speed minimizing the delay)

Sadly there are still many bots and cheats out there on the consoles, ruining game play even there. YouTube is littered with videos of those bragging about their botting and cheats/mods that favor their side of the game play. Albeit it is a little more difficult to do it in comparison to doing so on the PC.

As long as we Americans get lazier and lazier and want even more instant gratification, we will all suffer.

shrapnel_indie

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2010
[citation][nom]kashifme21[/nom]Console gaming is just to expensive for my taste. They lure you in by making you think the hardware is only 300usd, however later they rip you off on the games. every game on console costs 10-20usd more, the accessories can cost a ton more too. Mot gamers end up buying 20 games a year at least.Now consider 20 games * 15usd avg price difference per game in a year. Hence PC is cheaper on the software by about 300usd per year. By the Second year the PC is cheaper then owning a console. By the 3rd year the PC has most like paid for itself, note this doesn't even include the insane discounts available on Steam.Imo console gaming is a rip off.[/citation]

PC isn't that much cheaper, if at all. PC games USED to all be $10USD cheaper than a console version, Now, that $10 difference is disappearing... making practically ALL new AAA titles $60. through normal channels. (Steam being the exception when they put a game on-sale. Key there is ON-SALE.)

shrapnel_indie

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2010
[citation][nom]kkiddu[/nom]Much easier to play pirated rips on PC. 'nuff said.[/citation]

Maybe, but I'd wager a lot of that has to do with all that garbage DRM companies are sold on adding (for a price) that said hackers/pirates break within a short period of time.

cj_online

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2008
[citation][nom]amk-aka-Phantom[/nom]Oh yes, you will be! *thumbs the troll down*You get what you pay for. IME, all console owners I know STILL have a PC (in 75% of the cases, it's a desktop...) for e-mail, word processing and other PC-specific things. So... why have both? My gaming rig can do everything.[/citation]

Can your gaming rig do split screen gameplay? Would your rather play on a 24" monitor or a 55" LED tv? If you talk about hooking ur pc up to ur TV, well, Is it really feasible to have your gaming rig in the family room just to play on the big tv?

Both platforms have their place.. plz dont try comparing..

Consoles will always be more convenient and as a result more mainstream.

I personally enjoy both platforms and would prefer PC gaming if... it wasn't for the inconvenience as well as the lack of exclusives (well those that interest me anyways.. think God of war 3 and Uncharted 3)

Status
Not open for further replies.