Sony laptop model pcg 7184L won't POST or boot up

ChuckCross

Honorable
Oct 17, 2012
My Sony Win 7 laptop suddenly won't restart. I was just using it, powered it down, ate dinner, and then went to bring it back up. It powers on, but all I get is the Viao logo for a couple of seconds and then the cursor flashes twice. That's it. I'm like WTF . . .

I've had this unit for a little over two years, never any problems. any ideas? Maybe a CMOS battery or something ?

Chuck

Welcome to Tom's Hardware Forums,
Does it stay powered on with only a curser or does it shut off then? If it shuts off, I'm going to venture, airflow/overheating issues. Has the laptop ever been disassembled and cleaned out? If not, after two years I would expect some dust bunnies residing within. A good cleaning may go a long way here. An easy way to check is, when you power on the unit, can you feel airflow from 3-4" from the exhaust vent. I did have a fan go out on a Vaio that was about two years old so that could've happened also.
I wouldn't think that the CMOS battery would be dead after only 2 years but replacing it may help (especially if you've aleady taken it apart to clean thoroughly).
There could easily be other issues but that is where I would start here.

ChuckCross

Honorable
Oct 17, 2012
C12, I am going to clean the Viao but I forgt to mention in my reply that the unit is not powering down. It's been years since I've seen it, but I'm afraid I'm looking at a 2012 version of the BSOD. All I get is a grayish blue display after the cursor flashes a couple of times. I left it on overnight and I still had the blank gray/blue dsplay this a.m.

Thanks again,
Chuck