Sony Launches ''Inspection Scheme'' for Overheating TVs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brynjaminjones

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2009
Wow, this is the first thing like this that has ever affected I product that I own! I've got the KDL-40D3500, and it's been nothing but brilliant... I guess I may as well get it checked out though!

drwho1

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2010
I don't own one of those...

"The issue came to our attention through reports in Japan that a limited number of products might contain a component affected by a quality issue, which in a rare number of cases might over-heat and ignite inside the television and possibly result in the melting of the upper casing of the television."

Sony says that there has yet to be any reports of injury or further damages. Still, if you purchased your Sony Bravia TV in Europe post-2007, you might want to check out the model number and consider getting it inspected

...........................................................................................

Still the article says: the problem was discovered in JAPAN, and later... "if you bought one of this in EUROPE"

Huh?

I bet that ALL TV's from that year around the World might have the same issue.

festerovic

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2008
[citation][nom]theoldgrumpybear[/nom]The KDL-40*** Line is a fiasco in many ways. Is there one owner of the 40" KDL's that is satisfied?[/citation]
I have 2 x 40" kdl40-s5100s. They were cheap, and looked great. They are bare bones 40 inch TVs, I didnt expect the best, and didn't get it. BUT, they are fantastic for the price (

G

Put some 200mm fans on that bad boy. Add some LEDs while you are at it to :) Problem solved.

legacy7955

Distinguished
May 16, 2011
[citation][nom]drwho1[/nom]?I bet that ALL TV's from that year around the World might have the same issue.[/citation]

Maybe not because the household voltage is different and they probably used different components in the versions that use 240v.....It may be that there were gov't inquiries from Europe that caused Sony to investigate the set and it was found to have a problem in their testing labs in Japan.

CPU666d1

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2011
Well at least they're sending technicians around to check these affected sony bravia tvs out. Better this than not to have any body check them out at all.

bens1

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2011
[citation][nom]theoldgrumpybear[/nom]The KDL-40*** Line is a fiasco in many ways. Is there one owner of the 40" KDL's that is satisfied?[/citation]

I have a KDL-40X2000 that cost £2500 from new. At the time it was regarded as by far the best TV available. I love it and even my friends with the newer KDL-40X3500's etc comment on how good my picture looks.

People often think that SD content on our TV is actually HD! In fact so much so that I cancelled my HD subscription because SD looks so good on it.

I've yet to see a new TV that looks significantly better, so I'm not in a rush to upgrade.

cats_Paw

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2007
limited... rare... 1.6 million does not sound limited nor rare to me. lets assume a basic 500 Euros for averega price. thats 800 million Euros on defective material.....

TeraMedia

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2006
Years ago, I had a professor whose house burned down to the ground, apparently because of a manufacturing flaw in a large Sony CRT TV (and here comes my lawsuit from Sony in 5... 4... 3... 2...). He lost just about everything.

It sounds like someone in Japan figured out that a batch of parts was flawed, and traced that through to these set models. If Sony is trying to underplay this, but there is actually a real risk of fire, and it extends beyond these models or the stated geographic region, and people die, they would get crucified. That scenario could very well be the end of Sony if it came to pass.

Status
Not open for further replies.