Sony Launches Surround Sound System for PS3

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

segio526

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
I've been in a room with the Polk audio bar, which is supposed to be one of the best. The sound from the bar was very good and it really did sound like audio was coming at me from the sides. Unfortunately, like all audio bars, it couldn't create the feeling of rear audio. If a company could come up with a wireless rear audio bar, I think that system would be suitable for a lot of people/rooms.

G

For the same price I bought a several-hundred-watt Sony 5.1 surround system with several inputs and an FM tuner. Why anyone would buy this new product is beyond me.

Strider-Hiryu_79

Distinguished
May 5, 2010
the one speaker all in one surround sound bar will never reproduce the effects of a true 5.1/6.1/7.1 5, 6, or 7 channel speaker setup faithfully and truthfull.

Sound bars should die!

pharge

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2009
Well... this kind of soundbar system is that the old debate we had here about apple/HP/SONY/.. computers and custom build computers...

Soundbar system give you the convenience, "almost" wireless, and it is "almost" fool proof... however for the same price it will not be as good as a 5.1 system let alone with a customized surround systems (hand picked 5.1 receiver + 5 nice speakers of my choice + 1 nice sub which will send to sound to my bones).

Oh don't forget the SONY tax, too..:p

So what will you like? convenience? or the best performance/price ratio?

No right or wrong answer, it is your money... so... it is just the personal perference.

TeKEffect

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2009
[citation][nom]hispeed120[/nom]Seems like a lot of money for a 2.1 system. I have enjoyed my Z-5500 hooked up to the PS3 so far, and was able to score those for about $150. I guess it's cool that it can simulate Dolby or DTS surround across a 2.1-channel system, though I don't know how it would actually compete with a true surround system.[/citation]
I saw that sale price and my gf told me to hold off for a little bit before I get them. I have never seen them at that price again. You are a lucky smart man

IFLATLINEI

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2010
[citation][nom]restatement3dofted[/nom]That's why it's called "virtual surround," smarts. General consensus with sound bars is that they fall short in any attempt to simulate surround, unless you're in a perfectly rectangular area where you can get the sound to bounce off the surface behind you. Some people seem to think it's great, though.[/citation]

Funny, It doesnt say Virtual Sorround Sound.

restatement3dofted

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2010
[citation][nom]Strider-Hiryu_79[/nom]the one speaker all in one surround sound bar will never reproduce the effects of a true 5.1/6.1/7.1 5, 6, or 7 channel speaker setup faithfully and truthfull.Sound bars should die![/citation]

Why should they die? Not all of us are able to set up more than a 2.1 channel configuration. For those of us with no alternative, it's nice to have decent 2.1 systems, including sound bars, out there.

thillntn

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2010
i have a 150w x4 amplifier that "simulates" surround on any input,be it the tv or 360. another not needed accessory.FAIL !!
▄██████████████▄▐█▄▄▄▄█▌
██████▌▄▌▄▐▐▌███▌▀▀██▀▀
████▄█▌▄▌▄▐▐▌▀███▄▄█▌
▄▄▄▄▄██████████████

1pp1k10k4m1

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2008
Little bit pricey, but man, it would be great to have. I'm going back to school (dorms) again, and they aren't big. Sounds like a decent solution for a small system. Still too pricey. I can get ACTUAL logitech 5.1 for about that (and sometimes less).

Manos

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2009
I have everything hooked on my Logitech 5.1 DTS/THX. And there you have Sony asking you for the same price a virtual surround system which you dont even have to be an audio/visual enthusiast to know its a bunch of BS...

And yet, unfortunately there are way too many clueless folks and fanbased suckers that will help this sell. Oh well :)

P.S. Do NOT buy thinking that this will be anything close to actual surround sound. Its NOT possible with just front speakers. Have fun :)

anonymousdude

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2009
I love how people get mad at a 2.1 system. The most important part of a surround sound system is always the the two front speakers. The back surrounds are all for sound effects that have no real bearing on the sound quality. It does however have an effect on the feeling of the sound.The center channel is just for voices. Anyways soundbars fail and for the money that a good soundbar costs you could be getting a nice 5.1 surround sound system from a good manufacturer. I'm not talking Sony or Samsung. I'm talking about companies like definitive technology, HSU, Infinity, etc. Some of their 5.1 systems go for right around a thousand just as much as a polk sounadbar. The logitechs are good for their price even at msrp and amazing at $150 and this is coming from and audiophile who spent $150 on a pair of headphones(Grado SR125i) and $50 on a pair of portable iGrado's. They're not the best, but how much more can you expect from such small and compact speakers at that price point. The only thing I personally know that can beat it are Defintive's pro cinema 60 that are out of production, but were selling for $300 or $400 (don't remember which) at Ultimate Elctronics and a couple of other stores. Anybody that thinks $200 is too much for a 2.1 system should just google some of the prices on some good 2.1 systems.

Status
Not open for further replies.